Re-Bought 4WD Turbo car !

marc

Yes! its true I have returned to the world of 4wd turbo cars once again!

But not in a GTiR, I have bought myself a GT4, Sorry guys n gals!

Ive never really been please with the speed of the DC2 its a slow car considering what I am used to so I have took it upon myself to move back to the world of 4wd !

Managed to get myself a black GT4 WRC Edition, Im picking it up on tuesday!

So for any of you that remember me and met me and heard me always saying I might get another GTiR well I havent :p

Mind you there is still time yet ;)

thanks

gtir bean

the st205 is a nice car.not as fast as the r thou but nice and comfy.i have one now too i could have sold you it.

marc

I still got the GTiR coilovers you sold me about 2 years ago gtir bean :)

and marcymarc what a **** nothing useful to say dont bother posting!

Seem like the members have went downhill on here recently, lotta muppets popping up!

Im suprised I didnt get a slagging off Rob tho! maybe hes missed the post! haha

youngsyp

marc said:
Managed to get myself a black GT4 WRC Edition, Im picking it up on tuesday!
That's the model I had. Mine was a '94 MY but, I can't remember which number it was.

It's a fantastic car matey, I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Take good care of it.

Paul

marc

Thanks alot mate, always had a wee soft spot for them!

How does it compare to the GTiR tho? Well your thoughts anyways?

On the test drive it felt a hell of alot smoother and alot les rattly and better built!

I just hope I can have as much fun in it as I did the GTiR :)

Thanks again

youngsyp

marc said:
Thanks alot mate, always had a wee soft spot for them!

How does it compare to the GTiR tho? Well your thoughts anyways?

On the test drive it felt a hell of alot smoother and alot les rattly and better built!

I just hope I can have as much fun in it as I did the GTiR :)

Thanks again
To be honest mate, there is no comparison. The GT-Four is a much better car in all area's. It's better built, more comfortable, has better seats, much better brakes, much better handling, much better gearbox and clutch etc.....

Don't let anyone tell you the GTiR is faster. With like for like mods, they'll be nothing in it, until a bend comes up. Then the GT-Four will leave the GTiR quite convincingly.
Plus, you don't need to spend as much on the tuning parts. Get a decent 3" exhaust, with downpipe (try Aussie downpipes), a decent air filter system and whack the boost up to 1.2bar (removing the boost restriction in 1st and 2nd gear) and the clutch and everything else will take it no problem. I'd think at 1.2 bar, it'll probably be pushing out 330 bhp with similar torque levels. And due to the ceramic turbo shaft, the turbo responds better too. You won't need to bother changing the charge cooler unless you start pushing over 400bhp. And if you polish and lag it, your intake temps will be icey cold.

The only reall issue is the parts. Due to the 'super strutt' suspension system, and the fact that it's a GT-Four only system, the parts can be expensive and only available from and official dealer. Just make sure your 'figure 8's' are ok and you should be fine.
Another common issue is the rear diff mount rubber. That's cheap and easy to replace though.
There are more tuning parts available for it though which, can be cheaper when compared to GTiR tuning parts.

If you haven't already, join the www.gt4oc.net. They're a great group of people and the board has been around for a very long time.

Paul

marc

Thanks alot Paul, im already on there but its blocked in work thats why I lurk about here!

And I have just confirmed that its not a WRC edition that im getting its just a ST205 with a WRC spoiler :(

Ah well, there isnt alot of diffrences between the two models anyways!

Also about the 3" exhaust, I was told to go for a 2.5" to stop boost creep ? Shed any light on that?

And thanks again for all the advice, appreciate it!

youngsyp

marc said:
Thanks alot Paul, im already on there but its blocked in work thats why I lurk about here!

And I have just confirmed that its not a WRC edition that im getting its just a ST205 with a WRC spoiler :(

Ah well, there isnt alot of diffrences between the two models anyways!

Also about the 3" exhaust, I was told to go for a 2.5" to stop boost creep ? Shed any light on that?

And thanks again for all the advice, appreciate it!
As you say, there's not many real differences between the JDM GT-Four and the WRC model and certainly none that would make a difference to the car. I think the listed differences were the spolier risers, the spoiler on the trailing edge of the bonnet (this is on all EDM cars), the redundant anti lag system and the chargecooler radiator spray system. I tried to get the last one to work but, the pump for it wasn't as high pressure as was needed !

As for the exhaust system, I had a 3" downpipe (including elbow from the turbo), to 2.5" system and had no issues with boost creep, using a manual boost controller (not a bleed valve).
If you're worried about boost creep, you could either port the wastegate outlet or, pre-tension the actuator spring. I must say though, I never heard of that, when I had mine. Admittedly, that was back in 2001-2002 ! Regardless, I'd always recommend a 3" system over a 2.5" system on the GTiR or GT-Four, from experience. Or, at least the larger downpipe and elbow to the 2.5" system.

Paul

Dasilva

i had a ST205 for two years, the boost creep issue only comes about when you fit a full 3" turbo back. The build quality is far superior to the R, how ever to drive i did fine the gt4 more laggy than the R mid corner acceleration was always interesting it would explode into boost.

I spent £600 on mods from a completely standard car and got 300bhp on the rollers you can't argue with that.

One thing i like the most over the R to the 4 is the shorter wheel base and feels lighter more nimble.
Oh how could I forget the joy at MOT time fitting the old CAT/turbo downpipe back on, managed to get it down to 3.5 hours.

youngsyp

marc said:
Why did you get rid of yours?
Believe me, it wasn't by choice.
A shitty old transit van swerved across the front of me on an A road, causing £6500 worth of damage to the front end. It's not fun going down the road sideways at 70 mph, with cars heading towards you at the same speed ! :shock:
Although that sounds like a huge amount of damage, it wasn't. The car still drove but, because the parts were so expensive (bonnet £1500, bumper skin £1100 iirc etc...), they wrote the car off.
I managed to sell the car £3k and got £8k back from the insurance company for it. I was still out of pocket though as, the car cost me £9875 (in October 2001) and I'd spent a lot on mods and maintanence (suspension) etc...

If I could get a very late model (I think they sold them up to 1999 in Japan), I'd grab one. None of teh Japanese owners want to sell these ones though, by the looks of it.

I'm sure you'll love the car. ;-)

Paul

youngsyp

Dasilva said:
Oh how could I forget the joy at MOT time fitting the old CAT/turbo downpipe back on, managed to get it down to 3.5 hours.
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. :lol:

Paul

marc

Man that sucks, Much the same happened to my GTiR I got rear ended just after spending 6k on mods for the GTiR :(

Talk abotu a kick in the nuts, Thats the reason im only going for a nice and safe 300bhp with this :)

youngsyp

marc said:
Talk abotu a kick in the nuts, Thats the reason im only going for a nice and safe 300bhp with this :)
Yep, to say I was a little upset, would be an understatement. It was my first 'real' car !

I would have thought 1.1bar on an otherwise stock car would see 300 bhp ?1 Mr Dasilva ?!
The JDM cars start with good deal more power and torque than the GTiR (255 bhp and 240 lb's/ft torque iirc) so, you have to do less work to get to three centuries.
I think the main thing you should try to achieve is to circumvent the ecu controlled boost limit in 1st and 2nd. Just that will help performance noticably, and can be achieved by the use of any 3rd party boost controller.

Paul

marc

Yeah one of the first things on the list is a Greddy Profec B boost controller

Then a de-cat pipe!! the car atm has aftermarket exhaust cat back system on it, of "unknown" make im taking it to the garage on thursday to get it check out and see if anything needs done to it :)