rattly head

rossdj1983

just wondered if the top end of anyone elses motor sounds a bit rattly, its the first cam chained engine ive had, i know they do it a bit but mine seems a bit to much when its cold, might just be me being paranoid i hope

GTiR_Mic

The engine always sounds a bit noisey due to it having solid lifters or may be the noise from injectors.

Mic

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
rossdj1983 said:
just wondered if the top end of anyone elses motor sounds a bit rattly, its the first cam chained engine ive had, i know they do it a bit but mine seems a bit to much when its cold, might just be me being paranoid i hope
The wrong grade of oil can make it a bit noisey ;-)

youngsyp

GTiR_Mic said:
The engine always sounds a bit noisey due to it having solid lifters or may be the noise from injectors.

Mic
The timing chain will also make more noise than a cam belt.
As oap-r has mentioned, make sure you have the correct grade, quality and quantity oil in there (Silkolene Pro S 10w50 or similar). If this is ok, get a long screw driver and place the blade end on the injectors, then the rocker cover and listen for the the noise it's making (obviously with the engine running), this will help you localise the noise. It could be that the lifters need re-shimming ?!

On my car, it's the injectors that make the loudest clicky/rattly noise, not that it's particularly loud. They have done since I got the car 50k miles ago and have not got any worse/better since.
The engine does generally make more noise than the average engine (with hydralic lifters and cam belt) too but, that's for the reasons you mention, as well as the solid lifters. I've used Mobil 1 oil, then Motul 300v oil and now Silkolene and the Silkolene does make the engine quieter, again, not that it was particularly loud in the first place. I've also found it generally makes the engine feel smoother too !