Rattle

Advice needed please. After removing my AC and fitting a shorter belt my car has developed a rattle, it's not always there but when it is, is rather loud. I have tried adjusting the alternator to tension the belt both ways but this does not seem to make a difference :roll:

Cheers

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe it's the wrong size belt. - There was a shorter one in mine when I got it, but I was sill getting belt squeal so I had to go for a smaller one again.
...of course that's not the same as a rattle; is there any chance your alternator is on the way out, and that's the sound of collapsed bearings?

wrc

Checked the bottom pulley to see she's straight and true?

Easy way to find out is remove the belt and see if the problem goes away. If it does then it should be pretty easy to narrow down where your rattle is ;)

stee

remove the belt as wrc says and check there but also id be checking any brackets anywhere that may of been holding and a/c pipes or pump or anything like that to make sure nothing is loose after removing your a/c, its probably something you have disturbed or left loose after removing whatever components involved

j0ff

remove the belt as wrc says and check there but also id be checking any brackets anywhere that may of been holding and a/c pipes or pump or anything like that to make sure nothing is loose after removing your a/c, its probably something you have disturbed or left loose after removing whatever components involved
And check your CV joints... lol