Rattle on start up

Spikey

My R has recently started to make a Rattle noise on start up but then 10seconds later its gone and all good again. sound like a knocking.
I remember having this on my s14 but never looked into this.

Gaz gtiR

its prob more down to the tensioner? only thing is try a new tensioner but if its only wen u start it i wouldnt worry mine only dous it from cold & ive had 3 reni 5 turbos & they did the same thing. wen the engine is not running the chain & tensinoer arnt under any strain or pressure so it will all be loose wen u start it the chain & tensioner are just tightening up & taking the slack out of the chain. thats the rattle u can hear...

sory for the explanation im crap at it haha. :)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Would you say its more a whine than anything else?

If so it might be your crank pulley on its way out?

geoff pine

I had a similar noise but started 15 seconds after start up and lasted for a couple of minutes after playing the noise back to Steve he confirmed it was power steering related . Drained the fluid refilled it with ST 50 transmission fluid and the noise has stopped then the coolant system sprang a leak . take the drivers side wheel off and scribe a line across the pulley and take it for drive then have look and see if it still lines up ? could be alternator. A new OE pulley is around $250 from erics .

vss irvine

its low oil pressure geeting to the head, check that your sump is pushed up against the pick up pipe.

and if you havent done it recently get and oil filter and fresh oil in there.

the chain tensioner doesnt move back that much when the engine is off as there is a ratchet system in there.

pulsar brum

hmm mine rattles bu on mine its the norris designs plate rattling on top of the rocker cover [ i tighten it and it loosens up again

Spikey

Its only done it twice. Noticed oil pressure was lower on Idle. But its come back up now. It seems all fine now