R is drinking too much optimax

buffalobilla

My R is drinkin the stuff faster than u down shots.
I filled £20 of optimax and it lasted 2 days and i didnt rag it too much and just got 70miles.
Does everyone get theat kind of mileage?
Or maybe i need the car tuned?
My cuz has an R and he gets better economy.
And when i dab the accelerator a bit i can smell fuel, dnt know wot that is either :?

Moved to Problem solving

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How does the performance feel?
Normally they get abit sluggish when overfuelling.
If it still feels fast then maybe it's just too powerful :p

MAF,Lambda sensor and maybe cooolant sensor are the first places to start looking tho.

buffalobilla

well it does feel fast, espcically on 1 bar.
but isnt overfuelling good when on 1 bar as i havent replaced the fuel pump yet? :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
They are normally set to run rich by the factory to help with cooling. (I think)
Too much overfuelling can be a bad thing as you get bore wash (petrol washes the oil of the cylinder walls) which leads to premature wear of the cylinder bores and rings.

S

stevenrsturbo@aol.com

if 20 quid of shells finest is say 89.9 a ;litre
thats 22.5 litre s say
call that 5 gallon
you reckon 70 miles from that or there abouts,,
so about 14mpg, that is pretty low,,

also check sparks, leads, dizzy cap, open centre dash up to see what ecu is in cradle also ,, might be the first thing i would do actually, you never know,

MarkTurbo

14 mpg isnt that low really :roll: I'd say it was about average allowing for a bit of steady driving with the odd bit of abuse thrown in :wink:

I only ever get about 25 mpg at the most cruising on the motorway and 6-7 mpg on a good blast :twisted:

MarkTurbo

I was running about the same boost as you when i was getting those sort of mpg figures :wink:

Running way more boost than that now though :twisted:

S

stevenrsturbo@aol.com

i manage 230-240 miles of 42 quid, at 93.9 a litre (lake district (prices are awefull))
44 litres = 9.5 gallon
makes for 24 mpg and thats some spirited driving at 1.1 bar with stage 2 mods, more often than not sat at 80-90 on the 4 times daily b road thrash to work.. my evo use to get 17 mpg on average with 370 bhp on same journey,, i would say anything under 20 aint good on a std/ stage 1 sunny/pulsar gtir

buffalobilla

u got sum good economy figures there mate :lol:
if im on a 70 road, ill cruise at 50 jus 2 save sum fuel coz it drinks at 70-80, even when not flooring it :shock:

antgtir

If you say you can smell fuel id also check for any fuel leaks, check the injectors etc and any other fuel hoses, look at the tank to see if it has started to corrode and weap etc.

I for about £42 as its now 90.9p / litre near me i would get about 230+miles granted on a standard R but still with a little tickle hear and there.

Ant. :D

gtirneil

You guys manage to shove £42 in your tank... mine takes £32 and then it starts dribbling down the side of me car, i have one special car

gtirneil

You guys manage to shove £42 in your tank... mine takes £32 and then it starts dribbling down the side of me car, i have one special car

antgtir

gtirneil said:
On my first R i would fill the tank to the brim probably about the same cost i.e. around the 40 mark but if i left the car on a lean down towards the passenger side the fuel would come out of the overflow, but i defo used to get about the £40 amount in :?

Someones not been drilling holes in your tank have they lol :p :lol: :wink:

Check your tank etc for any fractures or holes etc, if this is the case would this cause a vaccum problem?? :?

Ant.

gtirneil

Ive had it almost empty and then filled up and it only costs £32, my car worries me, im going to have a look at the fuel tank and the fuel lines to make sure its all ok :(

buffalobilla

when i dab the accelerator, i can smell fuel but the smell goes away after about 10 sec. when im flooring the car, then i get no smell, its jus when im stationary and if the accelerator is dabbed. :?

C

Crazy

Sounds a bit like my car mate but I thought its just how tuned GTiR's are, but after having a new clutch fitted yesterday they noticed that I have a very small fuel leak coming from the top of the tank somewhere and it is running down the back of the tank :cry:

Can't be really big because I never have any leaks or drips on my garage floor :)

But still, it has to be sorted so I will have to book it in and hopefully my fuel consumption will be less :wink:

buffalobilla

mines not really tuned and ive never noticed any fuel in the driveway. but what i dont understand is when im driving it hard on a stretch i dont get that smell :?

paz

Check that none of your fuel lines are perished, one of mine was and its been much better on fuel since fixed - although still shite :lol:

Paz