R been in storage 2years+ , need advice for getting it started!

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Hi Folks,

A lot of time has passed since my ‘R was last on the road, but now being better off financially means the Beast can finally return to the road! :-D :twisted:

What I’m after is any advice anyone might have for getting it running ; changing all fluids (coolant, oil, clutch, brake, power steering, drain fuel tank etc) and checking the brakes etc is a given, but what about actually starting the car?

Its been started occasionally over its 2 years in storage but it’s last start was quite a while ago so am wondering what to do – do I just turn it over a few times with the immobiliser on to pump oil around before firing it up, or do I take the sparkplugs out, squirt some wd40 down them & let it sit for a while to lube the rings up a bit…and what about removing the rocker cover and spreading a little oil over the lifters etc?

Sorry for all the questions but am getting myself psyched up to drive it again so making sure I don’t shag the engine when trying to start it would be a big bonus!

Cheers in advance for any & all help :thumbsup:,

Steve.

Fusion Ed

TBH you could probably do nothing more than a full service. Allow it to build oil pressure then fire it up. I've had cars start been sitting for 5 years+ that have actually been fine. Then just give it a full service on ALL fluids and service items. It should be just fine.

pulsar_stu

As edd says.
I bought a gtir that had been sitting for 2 years, I changed the oil and filter then turned it over without the fuel pump fuse in to get compression up and then fired it up straight away.

Putting some wd40 in through the plug holes wouldn't hurt tho! That's what the classic car guys do when a car has been sitting for years...

Check brake lines and fuel lines for corrosion. And vacume lines.

As it been dry stored or left outside coverd up?

Good luck with it ;)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd be checking the brakes too; I think that's what did for mine, just sitting in the garage. - I turned the engine over reasonably regularly, but as I didn't drive it the rear callipers seized and one of the lines corroded and sprang a leak.

donpulsar

Cheers for the input everybody, really appreciate the replies :-D

The 'R has been dry stored in my garage for the 2 years and yep the handbrake is off!
If the weather's nice tomorrow then I'll be making a start...wish me luck!

Fusion Ed

I did... but that meant they wouldn't go back on when you pulled the handle. :doh:

Never had any problem rolling the car in or out of the garage though.
Exactly. Trying to get off a seized ON calliper is not fun in a tiny garage.

johnny gtir

funny you should say that we pulled that sunny gtir dan broke out a garage like that.opened the boot jumped up and down as we dragged it. hit the calipers with a mash hammer nothing was freeing them

donpulsar

Got started on Sunday...it's been a while!

Cracked the bonnet open...looking fairly clean to say its been sat in the garage for 2 years -

Checked oil levels, coolant then removed all sparkplugs and put a drop of oil down each bore. Left for just under an hour to soak, added some fresh v-power.

Went to start it after connecting everything backup and the starter had stuck...so got the bigger battery out the VR6 after wasting the GTiR's one & after rocking the car and a few more cranks the starter turned it over, then it fired! :twisted: Had a big grin on my face, before having to evacuate the garage as it burned off the oil! :lol:

So far, so good! Can't engage gears due to the clutch slave cyl popping its seals so got a new unit to fit tonight hopefully & if that bleeds up then I'll try a few runs in & out the garage! :-D