Quiet exhaust

Jonesy

Just found out the missus is pregnant :-D. So i was wondering if there are any quiet exhaust's available for the pulsar. Because i think the goose will scare the sh*t out of the kid:shock: . So i've agreed to try a new exhaust, defintley not selling up:shock: . Currently have a cat back goose with 5" tail, also have one with a 3" tail, both are noisy as f*ck. Any recomendations.
Cheers

Jonesy

That was what i was worried about, thought a quieter exhaust might not be as free flowing causing power loss. Suppose i'll have to try and get a happy medium.

jameswrx2

Congrats.

I had a scorpion years ago on my gti-r, was the best sounding exhaust IMO. It wasn't too loud, but sounded good when you heard the mrs. driving off it for instance.

It was in the same back box design as the standard exhaust system. Tail pipe was nice too.

Only problem is, since having a mongoose I think you'll notice the power difference. The mongoose sounds terrible IMO when just trundling along and I feel like a right plonker sometimes, but on boost it sounds like it means business and seems to give some decent power.

If I was you I'd look into getting a system made up. Use the standard pipe run, but instead of having the pipe go into and out of the backbox the same end, make it go in one end and out the other. So you'd be able to have a rear silencer of reasonable size parallel with the rear bumper.

You'd need to block the original exhaust hole and make another the other side, but shouldn't be too hard.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've got a 2.5"custom twin exit exhaust sitting in my garage that I recently replaced for a 3" custom exhaust. Both have a large back box which IMO you need to get rid of the motorway drone. When I got my new one made up I was adamant I wanted to keep the rear box so the only solution was to exit on the other side. As long as you don't want more than 350hp then a 2.5" exhaust will be alright.

PM if you're interested, I've also heard scorpions are quiet too. Here was my post from when I had my latest one done.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44350

By the way, congratulations on the news, very pleased for you. I've just had a new daughter in the last week and am still getting used to the idea.

Jim

Jonesy

Ok cheers for the advice, still not sure what to do i'll have a think about it, may go for a custom job.

youngsyp

Personally, if you're after a free flowing system that's quite, I'd go for a design like Jim's.
Due to the underpan of the GTiR, we're very limited to what we can do with an exhaust system, hence why the Mongoose is so loud, there's simply no room for a decent silencer.
With a design like Jim's, you get the best of both worlds, with the only downside being that you have to fill the original tail pipe exit in the bumper. That should be very easy to do though.

Jonesy

Yes that seems the best way to go. Pretty expensive though, but i suppose its not bad if you are getting a lifetime warrenty.

Jonesy

Any one had a custom exhaust made, in the edinburgh area. Just wondering if there are any decent companies in this area.
Cheers

steve963

ive got fujitsubo cat back 2.75" I think, quiet but big backbox like std one

just got a 3" front pipe so gonna have a step! (the wrong way)

gunmetalgtir

I've got a jasma approved exhaust lying in my pals garage. Very quiet, smiliar to a kakimoto. You can have it for a small fee £30-40, if you can pick it up.

Jonesy

gunmetalgtir said:
I've got a jasma approved exhaust lying in my pals garage. Very quiet, smiliar to a kakimoto. You can have it for a small fee £30-40, if you can pick it up.
Whats the diameter of this exhaust mate.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
what i did buddy was buy another car :lol: you'll be surprised what you can get for under a grand these days, we bought a 1.4 xsara and it was a fantastic car, excellent MPG, cheap tax and insurance.

i drive out and about with my son in the R and i drive very sensibly, i have a 5zigen on the car, its only really loud when giving it the beans so i dunno if you will have an issue with the exhaust TBH

and congratulations mate!

Jonesy

I'll see what happens, the missus has got a clio anyway. But i was always thinking of changing exhaust anyway, just find the goose a bit to loud, get some funny looks aswell :shock:

Jonesy

Ok cheers mate, i may look into picking up a second hand one. Tempted by a custom one aswell, might price that first.

gtir bean

i dont think you will lose too much power with the scorpion.mine made 302bhp at 1bar with it.you can keep the goose front pipe aswell.they do sound nice and you dont get looks for the noise and you can drive it without being embarased.it might have slightly more lag but not much.cheaper and prob better looking than a custom one.