quickest gearbox fitting times..

GTiR-Aholic

the booktime on a pulsar box is something between 12-16 hrs right?
i managed to have it out in 4hrs but putting it back i took 8.5hrs alot of it down to mixing up all the bolts!!

whats the best times for everyone here and how did you remove it?

I took the box and transfer box off complete together using two transmission jacks and a 4poster. Was considering engine out though at first.

Mr GTiR

It's 3 - 4 hours to drop the entire engine. 30 mins to remove box and transfer off the engine and split.

So in 10 hours you could have the engine out, box replaced and back in and running.

If there is 2 of you doing it that know's their way round a Pulsar then it can be done quicker as Allan and Kieron will confirm.

noriek2003

i do aswell now, will never drop an engine to do a box again tbh.

i reckon i'd have mine off now in an hour or there abouts with 2 of us, as the car is so much easier to work on since i re-designed everything nissan made a mess of :lol:

GTiR-Aholic

i reckon i'd have mine off now in an hour or there abouts with 2 of us, as the car is so much easier to work on since i re-designed everything nissan made a mess of :lol:

Definitely could do with a tidy up!!

olliecast

detailed "how to" would be awesome. we could donate 5p each to the person who does it as a reward.

Tell me if i`m being silly

GTiR-Kid

What have you re-designed that has made it easier to work on??

noriek2003

i have much easier access to everything in the engine bay due to chopping most of it out, i can reach 90% of the bits that need undoing to get the box out from the top, all of the cr@p that nissan put on it to hold up the plenum which gets in the way has long gone, the exhaust, which wont need taking out to get the box out would be out by undoing 1 v-band and 1 hanger, i dont have much of a pipe run so can get the icebox out the way in about 30 seconds, which than gives me all the room i need to get at the box,

i've literally just got to pull the diff or drop the tf box, get the driveshafts out, whip out the starter motor, drop the 2 gearbox mounts, lower the engine, undo the bellhousing bolts and its off. So despite being so heavily modified i'd say it would be far, far easier to work on than a standard car. Theres just to much Sh1t in the way from the factory imho.

i've been looking at dry break fittings recently, they would make taking the whole lot out in one lump even quicker if it was ever required.

rx jamie

so what you have done is what the vast majority of people with gtir's have done and removed the un necessary bits. hardly re-designing it is it.
when i do my box i have a fmic and i never remove anything from the top , theres no need. just mounts and shafts etc. i just drop the box down onto my chest and stomach to remove it. then fitting is the reverse.

STU4X4

so are you saying the gearbox can be changed without dropping the engine out on a standard car?? (the big Y bracket is missing off the back of the engine though!!)

noriek2003

so what you have done is what the vast majority of people with gtir's have done and removed the un necessary bits. hardly re-designing it is it.
yeah you are quite right, mines just like everyone elses, how silly of me to think i'd actually thought about what i was doing and how i was going to make it easier to get the box off or when working on any part of the engine when i needed to.

after all every other gtir you have ever seen all run single throttle body inlet manifolds that can be taken off in situ in about 10mins, and even with it left on you can reach all the bits you normally cant from the top, they all have exhausts that can come off by undoing 1 v-band and one hanger, they all have an engine loom that can be split with one bulkhead fitting, they all have re-routed water lines that dont go into the cabin so dont get in the way, they all have the powersteering deleted so you dont need to mess about with any of that, they all have the innerwings cut out so you can not only save weight but can access just about everything very easily without really needing to get under the car, they all have front bumpers on 1/4 turn fixings that will then come off in seconds, they all have a radiator mounted right up front well out the way of everything which gives you loads of room to work on anything around the turbo or the front of the car and just about all of them have the bolt on front crossmember removed and use custom stabilser mounts.

:behindsofa:

Last edited:

noriek2003

rx jamie said:
i never remove anything from the top , theres no need.
when i say i can remove bits from the top, i meant with the exception of the bolts under the gearbox and the shift link i can just about get at everything required to get a box off without getting under the car, believe me, this makes it much, much quicker to get the box off.

even on a standard car other then the air filter and inlet you can pretty much leave everything alone thats attached to the engine to do a gearbox.