Quaife gear failure.

Slammo

Hi,I'm looking at building a quaife gearbox for my GTIR. I see from these forums that people are successfully running them with 550bhp+ engines but what I was wanting to know is at what hp/torque has gear failure been experienced. I see cases have split but I can't seem to find any evidence of gears breaking. Does anyone know of this happening and at what power or torque?

I will not personally be building the box but I have also been advised to change the tapered bearings for standard ones when building the box. Is that just a straight swap of the bearings or are other modifications required?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm not sure if anyone has managed to make a gear case strong enough that the gears have broken instead.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Would be very surprised if an actual gear failed, the gearset is very strong, and casings can be braced as well these days which helps a huge amount. What is your intended use going to be for the car ?

daddyone

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've heard someone out there is making stainless steel gearbox casings, anyone know who it is? I'm about to start buying bits for a PAR build myself.

daddyone

Heavy Danny? I'm after something which'll do 650hp and 550tq upwards. I understand the gearset itself isn't the problem, more stopping the casing from splitting apart, which then let's the gears part company?

red reading

Get an str brace welded to the cases, a straight cut gearset from par and a bearing conversion they do to change the taper roller bearings on the main shaft..job done, that is then eliminating the lateral forces which is what actually damages the cases.

daddyone

Get an str brace welded to the cases, a straight cut gearset from par and a bearing conversion they do to change the taper roller bearings on the main shaft..job done, that is then eliminating the lateral forces which is what actually damages the cases.
Sound advice.

I'm still trying to track down a decently priced gearset, as I'll probably do my gearbox in on the 400hp setup, never mind the beast engine build..

Slammo

I will be in the same power range as daddyone if not a little more. Are the par gearsets working well for you guys over there?There seems to be many complaints on the internet of par gearsets failing,in one case the input shaft shearing off and very little support or help from par in these cases. Do par have to do the bearing conversion if you want that option?

Slammo

Would be very surprised if an actual gear failed, the gearset is very strong, and casings can be braced as well these days which helps a huge amount. What is your intended use going to be for the car ?
The car is going to be a daily driver that is used for some hard driving around the local hills on occasion. It will be tuned with switchable maps so won't be running high horsepower all the time. I don't intend to do many launches or drag racing as such. I am tempted to take a punt on the quaife with the str braces to try and avoid the straight cut gear noise during daily driving but if you guys think that is a stupid idea then I would like to know before I go any further with it. Thanks.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've got the Quaife helicut gearkit, it whines a little bit, but it's very tolerable.

I ran no braces, just hard track use. No launching and it's been fine!

IMO I'd just run the Quaife kit, as long as your not going to launch it you'll be fine (also a PAR 3rd gear selector wouldn't go a miss either)

whytie

The quaife is perfect for road use, I like the noise from mine and it's not loud enough to do you tits in.

vpulsar

The quaife is perfect for road use, I like the noise from mine and it's not loud enough to do you tits in.
Yeah I agree it's not that bad at all, I ran a quaife for over ten years with no issues at all.

The car ended up at over 500 bhp and previously I had done quite a lot of drag racing using launch control so a Quaife is a very good choice I think.

Rob