Pulsar or Sunny Brakes?

Matt Evans

Hi all,

its M.O.T. time for my Pulsar, and unfortunately for rear brake calipers are shot to bits! I tried ordering a new pair at my local car parts supplier, and he told me that the Pulsar GTiR calipers are £180 each! But the Sunny GTiR Calipers are £90 each. I asked would the Sunny ones fit, and he said that they wouldn't because they are a different part No.

Could anyone shed some light on this, and let me know if the Sunny calipers will fit my Pulsar?

Thanks. :)

pulsar350R

as far as i know its the same.

but theirs always people breaking pulsar's why not get some second hand ones and replace the pads.

Matt Evans

Hey, thanks for the replies! :)

How much would the Godspeed recons cost me, and would they be uprated ones, or standard?

The guy in the shop said he could get mine re-conned for £95 each, is that good? :S

Matt Evans

Also, is anyone able to get hold of some part numbers or something, just to clarify whether Sunny calipers will fit on the Pulsar, or is there anyone that knows for a fact whether they are the same parts or not? I just can't believe that the Pulsar calipers are twice as expensive as the Sunny ones, I mean, why would there be a difference in the parts, and what kind of difference would justify that kind of price?
The guy in the shop said that they definitely had different part numbers, so I guess the parts are different, but what is the difference?

antgtir

The Pulsar name is the Japanese version of the Sunny so the car is exactly the same apart from a few asthetics, the guy in your garage seems to be speaking out of his **** and trying to make a few £'s mate.

Have a look around the sites and get yourself an upgrade in the braking department rather than spending nearly £200 on reconditioning over 10 year old calipers.

As long as the parts are for the GTiR i dont see a problem.

Ant.

Matt Evans

Thanks for that ant, I thought that pretty much all the major mechanical parts between the Import and the UK spec were the same, but this guy says that the part No.s were different. He does good business out of me, and a few times in the past, when I've gone and asked for a certain part, he's given me a price, then told a cheaper alternative to save me money. I do trust him, because he could've not bothered helping me out in the past and just grabbed my money for the parts I wanted, so I'm wondering if he's just made a mistake or unfamiliar with the car (very likely) or whether its the different part No.s thats throwing him off.

Anyway, what would be a good upgrade for my rear calipers?

I'd like something that would fit onto the standard discs and not need any modding if poss?

antgtir

I apologise, i forgot it was the rear brakes, even though these can be upgraded, to be honest i dont think you really need to. If anything was to be upgraded on the rear i would increase the disc size and have brackets made up for the standard calipers.

A twin pot caliper i believe would be overkill and would induce instability under braking, others may have a different opinion though.

Have a word with Andy C aka MrGTiR on here as he has just broken an R and may have the rear calipers for sale?

Here is the link: http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43903

Ant.

Matt Evans

Yeah, I spoke to Andy, but he was kinda busy, plus he didn't really get a chance with all the bad weather we've been having.

I don't know what to do for the best now, get second hand ones, look for new, or have mine re-conned. :S Damn, this is so frustrating, I don't know how much longer I can handle driving my Dad's Fiesta 1.1! lol

Its good on juice tho! :D

antgtir

Matt Evans said:
Yeah, I spoke to Andy, but he was kinda busy, plus he didn't really get a chance with all the bad weather we've been having.

I don't know what to do for the best now, get second hand ones, look for new, or have mine re-conned. :S Damn, this is so frustrating, I don't know how much longer I can handle driving my Dad's Fiesta 1.1! lol

Its good on juice tho! :D
I suppose if you have the money to do it then i would probably recon as they normally come back gleaming with all nice new seals etc so good as new.

The disc upgrade can come later:lol:

Ant.

Matt Evans

Ok. so the only decision left for mw now, is whether to buy the UK spec (Sunny) ones new for £90 each, and hope they fit, or Have mine re-conned £95 each and know they will fit?

I think the re-con, any advances on that? lol

Matt Evans

Ok everyone, I've just sent my calipers off to be re-conned, so hopefully they'll be back by the end of the week, looking all new . : )

One thing I noticed about my new rear discs though, is that the off-set is wrong! :S

The dish part that fits over the hub, is deeper than the ones I've taken off. I know they gotta go back because they're obviously not the right discs, but what do you think went wrong, are they from a different Nissan or something?

antgtir

Did the GTi have rear discs?

I often find people dont listen to what yuou say so when you say its a GTiR they think oh GTi:roll: :doh: wouldn't supprise me.

Ant.

MarkTurbo

Cant see why there would be any difference :?

The pad carrier/slider assembly on the rear calipers on my sunny fooked up earlier this year and i just swapped them with the bits from a pulsar ;-)

jocster76

there both the same part i own a uk sunny R. And bfor my godspeed conversion my calipers were the same as my mates pulsar, even think the gti is the same too.

Jgti-R

i put pulsar calipers on my sunny when they went...........fitted just fine so i cant see them being a problem the other way round!