Problems with 300zx

Garef

I am looking at buying a 300zx, well, I've been looking at a bunch of cars, just need a budget car that I kinda like, and I know I should buy a Honda or something like that, but this one really caught my eye, it's an NA with 150,000 miles on it, I know thats high, but I'm in America and everything is high. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these things and what were common problems to look out for.

As for driving it, I will only really be using it twice a week to make a 120 mile trip to nashville and back, the rest of the time it will be used for running to the shops etc. This is only till Christmas when I will be moving to nashville so it'll only be used for short journeys after that.

Thanks.

Garef

There are not too many GTO's about and they seem to be a bit higher in price.

As for going Honda, if I do that I need to get something like an Accord or a civic, I'd like to have something half sporty.

P

pulsarboby

lol where do you want me to start:lol:

fantastic cars with great handling and power when everythings working as it should (never dealt with or driven the n/a version though, onlt the tt jobbie)

first and biggest prob.....electrics! they are simply a nightmare:doh: the big group of wires that goes to the ecu multiplug are inclined to break or you get dry joints which can cause all types of weird and wonderfull probs from speedo not working right down to total engine failiure.
like the gtir, there is a 10mm bolt which secures the multiplug to the ecu and it even makes a difference to how the car runs by how much you tighten that bolt (as it causes the plug to belly in the middle and create bad connections on the outside pins)
so make sure all the electrics are in full working order

stick coils....they tend to snap or can easily break when changing plugs so make sure they have not been lashed together with silicone or the like

head gaskets....not so much a problem with the n/a engine i think

hicas 4ws....expensive to sort out when it plays up so make sure the rear wheels are turning slightly when you turn the steering wheel and that the warning light does not flicker on whilst driving, and that it illuminates and goes out when engine is started!

timing belt change....24v v6 = lot of work to change the belt on one of these cars (took me a full day to do one) garages can quote around £600 upwards to do the job and thats if you can find someone brave enough to take it on, so make sure its been done or use it as a bargaining tool when buying

thats about it other than all the usual stuff, rust isnt normally a prob on these cars and they are mechanically a very strong engine.

hope that helps a bit 'good luck'

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamaala1

Here my input, since you live the US, you should look into a Dsm if you have budget. The 1st generation can be found for cheap, 4 wheel drive 4g63t. Great platform to work on, for a relatively low price. Again it all depends upon what you want from your car.

ricey

GTiR_Mic said:
Buy yourself a Honda mate & keep away from the barge on wheels :lol:
have to disagree mate.

i had a twin turbo 380 brake and was mint after 60mph there isn't much that can keep up to 180mph.

i do agree that if you buy a zed that you should LOCK the hicas steering on the rear as you do notice it on motorway runs.

i sold mine as the turbo ones are very expensive to fix as the engine needs to come out for the simpilest of repairs. turbo change gaskets etc!
but na's are alot easy to maintain mate!:thumbsup:

AND lik said above there is not any or very few that will work on the zed but in america i dont think that will be a problem.

my car was a h reg and NOT A SPECK of rust on it

i personally wood take the ZED any day over the GTO8)

Last edited:

Sween

I also understand the auto box can cause a few issues and be quite pricey to put right. I always found that the interiors looked very dated on the 300. Even more so than any other Jap car lol