Possible boost leak?

DanDud

I know this should be in the problem area but i havnt paid up YET!! I am planning on paying up within the next couple of weeks, just funds are a bit tight atm with me being a student n all. So please mods could you leave this in here for me to reply to?

Anyway the newely purchased R is sweet as a nut but whenever i floor is and the boost builds up there is a really loud noise, it sounds normal to me but my uncle seems to think it sounds like a boost leak. Iv had a quick check of all the pipes and they all seem fine, im gonna give it a thorough check at the weekend. It sounds like the dump valve is constantly open and boost is comeing out of it, but the "hiss" is constant and doesnt change with revs or anything. It pulls like a train and feels fine, its nice and constant and the dump valve operates fine. The noise seems to come in at between 2500 and 3000 rpm and is constant till i release the throttle n the dump valve goes off. It feels fine, my understanding was that the actuator will open once peak boost it reached and keep it at a constant preset (1 bar in my case) which will explain the eccess pressure sounding like its escaping. Is this correct? If the noise is stil happening and i cant find anything will somebosy be able to come out for a run with me at the next mascrat and see what they think?

Again i plen on paying up to become a full member either next week or the week after so if this thread could be left in here till then id appreciate it!

Cheers

Dan.

OZ-Racing

If you have an aftermarket air filter fitted, like a cone filter with metal mesh, you will hear loud sucking noise once the turbo starts getting to work.
Sounds a bit like a muffled jet engine :twisted:

Gray

Yeah as ive pm'd an said to you dan - its a normal sexy noise
my hks sounds so so sexy

geetee

Find someone local who has an R and have a listen to theirs, or have them listen to yours.

As above with the usual aftermarket filter on they do make a lurvely sucking noise once the turbo spools up.

oh... and as an aside... your actuator starts opening before you hit peak boost.... if it waited until you got to peak boost and then opened you'd get a boost spike 8)

Cheers
Graham 8)

Gray

Dandud ill have listen to it an take you out in mine if you want - i live a 2 min drive from mascrat if youre that worried about it could meet you anytime this week after 6

S

smcnairn

What have u used to raise your boost? if its a bleed valve could be the air bleeding out from that. :wink:

geetee

As a bleed valve has a hole the size of a mouse's ar$e you're unlikely to hear any noise from that, particularly given that it'll be at the front of the engine bay even if it were leaking.

Let's not get drawn down the bleed valves are Satan's plaything path. :evil: They rarely leak and when they do they tend to cause problems at idle not loud rushing air noises on boost.

8) Graham 8)

DanDud

I found the noise and its comeing from the Forge twin piston BOV, its not loosing boost though even though the noise would suggest it is, i was concerned at 1st but its OK now i know what it is, i put a stronger spring in the BOV and the noise is still there so im assusimg that this is the norm, either way it sounds spot on!

stumo

Dan, you only get the noise under part throttle when the turbo is coming onto boost.

To me it sounds like the BOV letting out some air until the turbo is boosting properly.

When it's on boost there's no noise, just smiles.