Poor man's antilag

vizi0n

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to achieve the same effect as the "poor man's antilag" on the PowerFC, using an original ECU that has a daughterboard installed. What are the scales on the PFC ignition map? What do the "P" and "N" scales mean? This is just for show and for an exhaust dB drag :)

On Nistune I can see LOAD but is it in the same order (top row) or is it left column?

Thanks

Poor mans antilag??
Whilst there is no official Apexi plug in Anti Lag and Datalogit Antilag is broken you can do a "poor mans antilag". This is at zero cost and is merely amusing and a bit of fun, I don't think it does any good (and might not be safe).

1. SETTING
2. IGN MAP
3. Change the top row (row P01) to be all zero's (the number 0) for IGN timing.
4. Drive around and listen to the car pop and backfire on gearchange

This is because on gear change the AFM momentarily drops its air when the throttle body closes so AFM drops into load point P01 (most times, not %100). So the result is, the engine drops to 0deg IGN timing for a split second and it pops and backfires on gearchange, race car style. This may not be safe and suitable for ceramic exhaust wheel'd turbo cars as it could cause exhaust wheel failure from heat. Logic says it should bring on boost a bit quicker but it doesn't appear to do squat. Traditional anitlag backs off timing on gearchange and dumps fuel, but keeps the throttle nailed so keep exhaust gas flowing.

Anyway try it and impress your friends. I have this applied to my car still after about a year and everything is still fine - standard turbo is still in tact etc

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
i have power fc .. dare i try this?
i think i'll speak to edd @ fusion when it gets mapped
I wouldn't; it's not going to do any good for the engine. - You might as well fit one of those flamer kits to your exhaust at the same time.

I suspect Ed will just give you a very disaproving look if you asked him to do this when he mapped it.

If you really just want to make the exhaust bang and pop, you could manually adjust the timing with the alternator so that it's always opening firing the spark when the exhaust valaves are open; you'd have no power and I don't think it would do the valves any good.

P

pulsarboby

If you really just want to make the exhaust bang and pop, you could manually adjust the timing with the alternator so that it's always opening firing the spark when the exhaust valaves are open; you'd have no power and I don't think it would do the valves any good.

mmm! how do you do that then george:?

skiddusmarkus

You fit an indicator relay on it Bob, so that it keeps cutting all electrical power from the alternator.You might want to be careful driving it at night though as your headlights will be strobing like an ambulance :p.Or mybe he meant the dizzy.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
:oops: Yes, I did mean the distributor...

You say "to hell with the base timing", undo the nuts and twist it (the distributor, not the alternator). - I had a friend who managed to put his in upside down (on a Celica) and that blew all the baffles out of his exhaust when the spark caught the fuel it had been helpfully dumping. :der:

Obviously you're screwed if you don't have a timing gun because you'll never get that back to where it should be.

I wouldn't try it myself, but that's essentially what dicking with the settings in your PFC is doing; setting the ignition timing to 0 degrees (retarding it 18 degrees so that the spark doesn't fire until the exhaust valves are open?).

P

pulsarboby

no only the pfc pro has launch control facility i believe

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
no only the pfc pro has launch control facility i believe
That's how I understood it to, and launch control isn't the same as anti-lag (although by cutting the ignition and not the fuelling you can induce after fire; that's how those Bee*R devices work).

vizi0n

But of course the best thing would be implementing a launch control in my bins... I know that Ed managed to do that a while back according to a post on Nistune. I wonder how he did that

vizi0n

Case closed, modified my ROM to allow ignition retard at 4000 RPM under 8 kph :D

[youtube]TtnOPcx4RFQ[/youtube]

Last edited:

vizi0n

Well Cozzmo gave me some good info but the ROM and launch control were Skprod's. Next step is using a pair of 512kb to have 2 different ROM, one with the launch control and the other without. Police checking out exhausts here and asking drivers to rev is quite common (to check if its too loud)

vizi0n

Why pay for something when I dont need it? My daughterboard already supports 2 ROM by the flick of a switch. I just need a pair of 512kbit EPROMs instead of the 256 I currently have.