please help

Spikey

I have just replaced the rubber air inlet for a metal one and also taken the boost solenoid off. Ran it and it cuts out. Unplugged the afm and it runs fine. Plug it back in and it cuts out. I have not touched the afm. What could it be?

pulsar brum

they are very fragile indeed and sensitive umust have tapped it replace the air flow. then tryit again. i couldnt be asked to change mine so i went for a link ecu and runs flowless

Spikey

Do the symptoms sound like the maf? How come it revs fine with no afm connected? Thought it would overfuel.

geoff pine

So you just need to work out whats so different that it gave you those symptoms have you moved it to close to the turbo ? have you used a straight pipe with no bends ? is the wire now stretched tight just some ideas .

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Could be a turbulence issue. Nissan use a MAF which might get upset by non-laminar flow - basically it uses a hot wire which then has a change in resistance when the air passes over it; if it's not flowing nicely across it because of turbulence, then it gives a dodgy signal.

This may sound odd, but try turning the MAF around so that the hot wire is in a different position; that might be enough to get a good signal out of it.

Surely if there was an issue with turbulence, it would occur after the sensor, as the sensor is the first thing the air passes through?
what's the ID of the new pipe? if it's larger than the the standard then that might cause issues?
Might sound obvious but don't forget the standard pipe has vaccume pipes plumbed in to it (Re-circ valve, boost solanoid and engine breather i think)...... if you put a new metal pipe on and it doesn't have those it might cause issues.

Last edited: