Please help, Tomei stuff on GTIR!

jammin

HI , i wonder if anyone can please help me!. A few things:

I want to use Tomei 280 duration cams. Tomei website say the 280's have 12.5mm lift, yet the Tomei GTIR specific valve springs are only good for 11.8mm lift! Can't work it out! Do you just use the Tomei type B SR20DET springs, which are dual springs and good for 12.5mm lift and come with the retainers and spring sheet, but not listed for GTIR? Will they work or is it a no no?

Can anyone help out on this please?

Also, the Tomei Valve Guides,, as they are only listed for the PS13 SR20DET? Can i use them?

Finally, can i use Tomei Rocker Arm stoppers, as again, they are only listed for the PS13 SR20DET?

Please help, as ive placed an order with Nengun, and now im sh!tting it that these wont work, and need to know wether to cancel the order.:sad:

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I wouldn't bother to be honest. Unless you're really building a car thats going to make decent use of such a cam. I went down this route and had custom springs, seats, etc made up. You also then need to have some head work done just to allow that lift.

Other options would be a set from Kelford or Piper. They can sell you a whole kit for that kind of duration and lift these days.

bernieGTIR

i have the tomie rocker stopers i will look up there part noumber for you min for you m8.

all so go for the brian crowler valves as there cheaper than the tomie and just as good.iirc you will need to change the valve springs with cam that runs over 270 duration due to valve bounce.

jammin

Thanks Bernie, thats exactil what i need to know. They are the ones listed as : [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SR20DE(T) PS13,S14,S15,P10. [/FONT]
I would use the BC valves/springs retainers, but i already have an order with Nengun Japan and they will not re credit my credit card with the funds, so gotta spend with them, hence i wanted to check if the Tomei springs/retainers would work. Any ideas.
Rishi/Vss irvine, thanks for the input, but as above i have credit to spend with nengun and really wanted to go this route. I am really aiming for a car that will make use of the cam, and will be having a full CNC'd gas flowed head.
I have to introduce myself properly and include my build spec on the forum, just havenmt really had time. I'll make a point to do it later. Please check it out and tell me what you think.
I intend to compete in the car i a race series.

Thanks

bernieGTIR

nengun are a very good and have never let me down.

my pulsar is runing 287bhp at the mo. but i am building a another engine using mostley tomei parts. hopefully it will end up around 450bhp for sprints and hillclimbes

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Have you actually used those S13 / S15 valves in your GTiR engine? They are actually different and shouldn't work.. I was going to get Brian Crower to custom make an oversize set at one point..

jammin

Hi Rishi. No, i was going to use standard valves, but obviously uprated valve springs/retainers to cope with the added lift.
Dont suppose you know if the Tomei type B springs/retainers will work. They are dual spring. They do list GTiR specific ones, but only rated to 11.8mm lift, yet the type B's are dual spring, rated for 12.5mm lift, and come with the retainers and spring sheet. This is the only thing thats holding me back with the order. If i cant find out, or if they will not woirk, think im going to buy the JUN springs.retainers, only problem is they are quite a bit more cash!!!

If you do get BC to make you oversize valves, please let me know, i could be interested also.

Thanks

Ben