plate registrations

P

pulsarboby

ive had a car in for a while now with a gtr private plate which ive now sold (the plate that is)
anyway sent off the registration details etc for the plate changeover and got the new reg back this weekend and guess what!

they have registered the car on a W plate :-D (thats a 2000 w btw)
got to be the newest gtir in existance, the latest reg one ive ever seen i think was on an R plate

GTI_R

maybe sat around in a dealership and never registered till 2000 ..
either that or the dvla are having a bad day

P

pulsarboby

ive had the car for a while now
yep it was imported in 2000 but technically the car should be on nothing newer than an m plate dependant upon year of manufacture.
they have obviously made an error thinking car was manufactured in 2000
theyve got the import and manufacture dates mixed up

GTI_R

you could buy a new car today and never register it ,, then in 10years register it and it would go on the platefrom that year ..
maybe it was never registered in japan ..
don't forget the plate is for year of registration not the year it was built .

abit like this rs200
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-4x4-RS200-/150700208005?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item23166eaf85
built in 1986 but showing as a 1993 L reg . not registered till earliest1993

more likely what you said tho

Last edited:

Hybrids

We once imported an old New York Checker cab, it was a late one (1981), DVLA registered that on a W prefix, rather than a W suffix.
It was harder trying to get them to sort it, once they make a mistake they don't like to admit it

P

pulsarboby

yep you are correct
can understand that with a uk built car as it will take on plate from date when first registered but the import thing is different as car had already been registered in japland.

wonder if theres any others that they have made this mistake to, like imported in say 02> and actually registered on an 02 plate

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeo_Ti

my m8 had the exact same problem with a mk2 astra gte champion, car was imported from germany i think in 2004 and got registered on a 2004 plate (as in SH04) looks weird as seing it lol.