Piston Coatings Worth It?

N

newbie2

i was looking at a cometic headgasket but was told by the guy who is rebuilding my engine to get a hks one, he said he has known 2 cometic headgaskets to fail on big power supras, his 1400bhp supra and 1000bhp skyline uses hks headgaskets without a problem.
would you like to show me where i can get 4 new forged je pistons for £150 delivered ?
i phoned around 10-15 performance parts shops for a 1.2mm hks gasket all were around £230 delivered, so when i got offered 1 at £190 inc delivery i bought it !

Last edited by a moderator:

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
newbie2 said:
i was looking at a cometic headgasket but was told by the guy who is rebuilding my engine to get a hks one, he said he has known 2 cometic headgaskets to fail on big power supras, his 1400bhp supra and 1000bhp skyline uses hks headgaskets without a problem.
would you like to show me where i can get 4 new forged je pistons for £150 delivered ?
i phoned around 10-15 performance parts shops for a 1.2mm hks gasket all were around £230 delivered, so when i got offered 1 at £190 inc delivery i bought it !
But you don't have anywhere near that power so how is that relevant :doh:

You can't get 4 new pistons for that money :doh: but you paid more than double that for 2nd hand pistons :mong: :lol:

N

newbie2

stumo said:
I have a Cometic on my 1700HP Supra, so ner.
because your gasket hasn't failed means that someone elses gasket hasn't ?!?
ive had a engine rebuild that cost £1500 a tuner would want probably double that so i havent done too bad, but im sure someone will be along to tell me it could of been done for £11.70 ! :roll:

N

newbie2

oap-r said:
But you don't have anywhere near that power so how is that relevant :doh:

You can't get 4 new pistons for that money :doh: but you paid more than double that for 2nd hand pistons :mong: :lol:
so exactly how much would 4 brand new forged je pistons be including asap delivery and vat/duty ??
and of course im not running that power but it obviously means to me that the hks is the stronger gasket !

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
newbie2 said:
so exactly how much would 4 brand new forged je pistons be including asap delivery and vat/duty ??
and of course im not running that power but it obviously means to me that the hks is the stronger gasket !
Rishi got me a set of top notch Mahle pistons with all the coatings for £225 in the US.Another £100 would more than cover vat and delivery :thumbsup:

Not necessarily.Det can also kill headgaskets.

N

newbie2

thats excellent but how long did it take from ordering them to them arriving at your door ? i wanted mine asap.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
newbie2 said:
thats excellent but how long did it take from ordering them to them arriving at your door ? i wanted mine asap.
2-3 days is possible with the right carriage but it costs a bit more.

N

newbie2

i would have thought the carriage would have been double for express delivery, the pistons i got are virtually new they have probably only been run for a few hours.
i would have prefered them to be coated but been told the coatings dont last, dont know if thats true though.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
newbie2 said:
i would have thought the carriage would have been double for express delivery, the pistons i got are virtually new they have probably only been run for a few hours.
i would have prefered them to be coated but been told the coatings dont last, dont know if thats true though.
They last alright.I stole some coated CP pistons off Blobby and the engine was mapped very badly.The valves were all burnt and melted and the liners melted as well before the pistons finally collapsed.

If the coating hadn't done it's job so well and the pistons wern't as strong as they were,it wouldn't have cost me so much to rebuild the engine.Suppose you can't have good coatings and strong pistons without at least 1 drawback.