Piston Coatings Worth It?

CruiseGTi-R

I’m after HKS pistons, and about to order from greenline:
http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/bccatpartlist.php?make=Nissan&carcode=GTIR&intake=FI&category=engine
They’re about £460 shipped.

The JE Pistons (http://www.racetep.com/jeimport.html#nissan Part Number 245016) are about £320. But, once you've added top side coatings and shipping it’s about £420.

So, for £40 more quid you get the HKS ones.

Question is, could you get the JE pistons without coatings, is it really necessary?

More importantly, I’m assuming the HKS ones come coated out the box (not a special add-on?).

Lastly before I order, please shout if you’ve got any links to cheaper prices.

Cheers, toby

O

Odin

I'd stick with the HKS ones myself, AGRA who are building my engine love the HKS stuff over anything else, And yes they came coated on the crowns.

I got mine from greenline as well and got away with out the vat/duty bill as well lol.

Rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Odin said:
I'd stick with the HKS ones myself, AGRA who are building my engine love the HKS stuff over anything else, And yes they came coated on the crowns.

I got mine from greenline as well and got away with out the vat/duty bill as well lol.

Rob
They prefer the Mahle Pistons just the same as the HKS..

Rishi

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
When I built mine a while ago I went for HKS as I've never heard a bad thing about them ever. JE's might be fine too but the HKS just seems more common.

EVOBAD

well i used the je coated ones they did a great job but the coating comes of all the pistons in the end,id get the je for 320 just as good

CruiseGTi-R

I got put off Mahle when I saw they made pistons for John Deere :-D .

Although, a reliable John Deere will be needed to pull Rishi's R out the hedge at knockhill, maybe it'll have Mahle pistons...

Coating, schmoating, I can't see any reason not to buy the HKS ones.

Keira

i've been beating off over my special pistons for some time and they have a completely different coating on them now than they did when they first arrived :shock:

O

Odin

diesel weasel said:
i've been beating off over my special pistons for some time and they have a completely different coating on them now than they did when they first arrived :shock:

Is that your own special formula ?, What are its special heat repelling properties ?.

Rob :lol: :lol: :lol:

azboy

for every day use hks are good as they dont expand so much causing wear on the engine and piston slap from cold but for big power je are nearly bullet proof

N

newbie2

ive just put je in my car without the coating, ian who is rebuilding my engine said je are the best.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
oldaneal said:
how do the mahle ones compare pricewise to the rest ?
Well,if you have a very special friend that sometimes goes to America on business,they can be had for £235 :thumbsup:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
oap-r said:
Well,if you have a very special friend that sometimes goes to America on business,they can be had for £235 :thumbsup:
£225 inc delivery to my office! ;-) And they were coated!!

Rishi

CruiseGTi-R

No, I meant who did Rishi use to get Pistons delivered to him for £225?

Cheapest I found pistons is about £4-500 shipped for JE or HKS :cry: .

O

Odin

CruiseGTi-R said:
No, I meant who did Rishi use to get Pistons delivered to him for £225?

Cheapest I found pistons is about £4-500 shipped for JE or HKS :cry: .

He was in the states at the time so just had them delivered to his hotel over there, That's why they where so cheap, Just buy the HKS and stop being an old woman :roll: , The JE's are also good if you want to sound like a taxi when you start up in the morning.

Rob

N

newbie2

CruiseGTi-R said:
Might as well pour a bag of nuts and bolts into my bores, would be quieter than the JE's :-D.

HKS pistons ordered ;-).
is there any truth in that je pistons are louder ? !

O

Odin

newbie2 said:
is there any truth in that je pistons are louder ? !

Yes mate, They expand more than the likes of the HKS pistons so need more clearance, So until they reach their operating temp they are a little :)lol:) noisier yes ;-) .

Rob