pic request please or opinions?

Dasilva

i've just finished fitting Cobra Imolas with cobra sub frames, and oh my god it takes ages to fit the drivers correctly.

You can't use the runners because its so high your legs hit the wheel, so you have to measure and drill more holes in the frame. And it didn't fit the floor not with out a large file and drill.

Oh and its still high then standard.....if i knew a friendly welder would custom make some using the original runners.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Dasilva said:
i've just finished fitting Cobra Imolas with cobra sub frames, and oh my god it takes ages to fit the drivers correctly.

You can't use the runners because its so high your legs hit the wheel, so you have to measure and drill more holes in the frame. And it didn't fit the floor not with out a large file and drill.

Oh and its still high then standard.....if i knew a friendly welder would custom make some using the original runners.
you can't use the original runners, they are part of the seat and cannot be removed.

Earlier in the year I had the opportunity to get a load of "those nagging jobs" that needed doing to the car done, one of the jobs I did was to strip the carpets and seats out so I could fabricate and weld in sections of new floor pan and replace the front chassis rails. So with the standard seats out the way it seamed like a good time to try and fabricate some mounts and try fitting the seat that was now gathering about 4 inches of saw dust and metal swarf in the corner of the workshop. It was tricky to get the mounts into a position that allowed the seat to sit low enough on the floor and still be able reach the pedals when actually sitting in the seat.
In the end I made some mounts that allowed the bucket seat to sit about 40mm lower than the OEM seat, brilliant I thought, until I sat in the seat and realized that even in it’s lowed setting the steering wheel was now to high. Time to get the grinder out.

In the end I managed to get the seating position about 40mm lower than standard and steering wheel another 30mm lower than it’s lowest setting. This is great as it now feels much more like your sitting “in” the car, much better driving position than standard.

So in short, if your going to fit bucket seats make sure you get the seat low enough, otherwise you will totally ruin your driving position. I think the best fitting seat rails are the Bride ones.

Heres a few pic’s

as you can just about make out the new seat is 40mm lower than the passenger seat :-D

this one shows 2 of the fixed mounts I fabricated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dasilva

nice.

in regards reusing the standard frames i thought you could cut them off the seat then weld two bars across for the seats to mount too.

I have to say though its so much better having bucket seats you can corner in comfort, and drive the car by the seat of your pants :)

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Odin said:
:shock: I struggle to drive with a helmet even with my standard seats :oops: , I have to lay the seat back as hunch over :cry: .
How tall are you Rob?

I had not thought about head room with my helmet on :doh:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Couldn't find a new pic of my car so i stole one of Si's.. Much the same seats.. I think they look good in Blue..

Braveheart

Odin said:
:doh: :shock: Just goes to show what a lot of short ar5es we have in the membership :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Those seats are both sitting far to high to get anybody over 4ft7" in the car :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
I agree.... having fitted my buckets on sliders, they are way too high....:doh:
I have to hunker down in the seat or my lid hits the roof....
I have fixed rails now to fit. Should drop them by about 4 inches.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Also where do i get those Bride Rails from? My ones were custom made but those bride ones look like they sit better..