Phase 1 specs on an M reg?

DJU1988

right here goes, noticed today my car has an umbrella holder and the car is an M reg, i was told the umbrella holder wasnt on later models. After checking the rest of the changes to the later models ive found i have all the old spec. Has anyone seen this before? im guessing its an early m reg possibly? i have HPI checks for the car and everything is as it should be its also not a private plate

everything ive highlighted in red is what my car still has (hasnt been changed)

- body colour super white [531] replaced the early ivory/marble white [KJ7]
- body colour only available in black [KH3] or the above super white (no more grey [TJ1] or red [AJ4])
- umbrella holder removed (blank panel, rather than vent from the RB model)
- headrests changed to solid (from hollow/donut-style)
- interior fabric trim changed to the same as the SSS model (no longer specific for GTI-R)
- badge on front grill changed to "Nissan" (from the Prince "P")
- steering wheel changed to generic black Nissan logo debossed (instead of red GTI-R logo button)
- windscreen changed to monotone (no more upper blue section)
- roof lining changed to vinyl from twill (except for those that chose the sunroof option)

- main instrument cluster modification (logos changed to hidden unless lit, and ANTI-LOCK logo changed to ABS)
- the water pump model was changed
- a couple of supports were added (clutch pedal bracket and side door beams)

whytie

I would be worried something going on there, sounds like a ringer to me. I have a K reg with no umbrella holder, i would try get my money back if a was you,

olliecast

these are old cars that have numpty`s like us changing stuff on them constantly!!

Mine has got loads of changed stuff in when i bought it (along with various seat belt bolts loose and a rear engine mount bolt missing!)

Good point about the umbrella though, there`s a weight saving to be had there as mines still in!!

olliecast

has the holder been put in? Its quite a neat thing to have, maybe some has put one on?

Check your plate on the firewall? has it been tampered with?

Ollie

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
checking your chassis number in the nissan FAST system will tell you the month/year it was produced...

i've never quite understood the importance placed on the date suffix over there - unless the original rego authorities were using FAST to check the official build date wouldn't the accuracy always be questionable?

wikipedia said:
It should be noted that the date denoted by a registration plate is the date a vehicle was first imported into Great Britain and registered with that registration system. For instance a vehicle manufactured in say 1991 and registered in Northern Ireland might have been given a 1993 registration letter when it was registered on the Swansea system. This also applies to vehicles imported from other countries. This is apparent by examining the registration document which will show a date of manufacture different from the date of first registration. The date of manufacture is notional, though, as vehicles may be manufactured and stored unused, for many years in some cases, and then registered as new when first registered into the system.

DJU1988

ye someone else said theyd seen similar in other cars, that when its imported they can issue the wrong plate

either way the car is immaculate and shows no signs of anything that would say its been messed with.

ill have to see if i can get the nissan fast system to work on my computer

steve-gti-r

Production Numbers
There were 5 seperate periods of production:
  • 000101 (02/90) - 005769 (04/91) Series 1 - Nissan Tochigi Plant
  • 020001 (05/91) - 021480 (09/91) Series 1 - Nissan Kyushu Plant
  • 050001 (10/91) - 053490 (07/92) Series 1 - Nissan Kyushu Plant
  • 100001 (08/92) - 102340 (07/93) Series 2 - Nissan Kyushu Plant
  • 150001 (08/93) - 151846 (11/94) Series 2 - Nissan Kyushu Plant
These numbers are a combination of information from the Japanese Owners Club and the Nissan FAST software chassis-lookup feature.
A total cannot be calculated due to the many numbers in the above ranges that are not listed in FAST, plus the Nismo, Autech and the GNN14 models. The final number produced over is guestimated to be between 12000-15000.

williams

could it not be something simple that it wasnt registered til M reg come out? just sat in the garage or whatever for a while? like i have seen a 54 plate saxo and they stopped making them in 03.