PAR,QUAIFE,PPG or OTHER?

frp

Just wondering what are people's preference's on uprated gearboxes? also anyones experience with uprated gearboxes!
steve

Fazz

From talking to RC, and from doing searches on here and seeing experiences and reviews.

PPG Straight cut.

Reasoning:
- RC swear by them
- little/no reports of failures
- they actually fit thedesign without modifications (quaiffe)
- Straight cut to remove load on casing

Quaiffe do for most on here, but there are some that have blown up quaiffe's also.

PAR don't seem to be worth talking about..

PPG it is then.

Keira

Fazz said:
they actually fit thedesign without modifications (quaiffe)
the ppg kits do not go straight in, they even give you a drawing showing one of the mods required, si's got built twice before it was right, it had to come apart for some machining after the first build before it was spot on

the ppg straight cut dogset is overkill for 99% of people with gtirs tbh, just get a quaife

Last edited:

frp

Thanks for the replys lads.
So what from experience would anyone consider the power/torque range for the quaife and ppg?
Eg.Quaife upto 400/400
PPG from 350/300 to700/650
(i believe their capabilities are measured in torque ?)
and how do they compare price wise?

This might help point people in the right direction

steve

GTiR_Mic

I have never heard of a quafie going but just the casing going.

That can be solved by some bracing.

As for the torque ratings you put up is that not up to what Quafie etc will keep there guarantee for?

Mic

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
frp said:
Thanks for the replys lads.
So what from experience would anyone consider the power/torque range for the quaife and ppg?
Eg.Quaife upto 400/400
PPG from 350/300 to700/650
(i believe their capabilities are measured in torque ?)
and how do they compare price wise?

This might help point people in the right direction

steve
IIRC,quaife say their gearset is good for 350lb/ft but i've been told from various people that they tend to be very conservative with the estimates for obvious reasons.

If you get the quaife gearset shot peened or cryo treated before assembly,this will also give it a bit more torque capacity.

My gearset was shot peened and with 400lb/ft,all that went was the transfer box :cry: :cry:

All in,my gearbox cost 3k but i think Hiteq are the cheapest for building a quaife gearset now,but,shop around ;-)

Last edited:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
diesel weasel said:
the ppg kits do not go straight in, they even give you a drawing showing one of the mods required, si's got built twice before it was right, it had to come apart for some machining after the first build before it was spot on

the ppg straight cut dogset is overkill for 99% of people with gtirs tbh, just get a quaife

I agree!.. PPG isn't so simple.. Bernie had to machine mine to get it to work correctly.. Not to mention that its not going to be the most fun box to use if you drive your car daily in town, traffic etc..

Quaife with a decent Brace will see you to 500bhp...

Rishi

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Rage said:
What about FIXIT in Sweden?

FIXIT are similar quality to Quaife from what i hear except that they don't make a GTiR Gearkit..

Rishi

Rage

They do. One here in Norway had a FIXIT gearset, but managed to miss shift, and blow the whole thing.