PAR (or similar) 1/2 DOG GEARSET

MINESGTIR

looks like they can make me a Synchromesh Engagement 1st~4th straight-cut and source a box to build it in for £2200... looks like quite a deal, its not a dog box therefore it aint gonna break as easy, and they are building it so im sure it will be fine.... !!!

O

Odin

Yeah that's the only way to buy a par, At least it should work properly if they've built the bl00dy thing, I still think you should go for the quaife though because AUS is a long way to ship parts if anything does go wrong, You can drive to quaife and bang on their door lol.

Rob

MINESGTIR

True very true, cant see quaife doing me a 1-4 straight cut rated to 500bhp AND build it for £2200....

im not going over 400 bhp , the box is "easily" rated to 500bhp... i dont do track days, i dont drag,, the biggest launch ive ever done is 4000rpm and that was cool enough...
you may ask why F**king bother with straight cut at all ??

because then its sorted for anything more i wanna do to it !!

Thanks four your help Rob...

i know everyone rates quaife but this is a good deal.. im sure PAR will be suitable in my hands !!!!

O

Odin

MINESGTIR said:
but this is a good deal.. im sure PAR will be suitable in my hands !!!!

Just wait until you get the shipping bill for something that weight from AUS, Then the vat/duty bill on top :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

But as long as you're happy mate, It's your money to spend and your choice to make 8) :thumbsup: .

Rob

MINESGTIR

Odin said:
Just wait until you get the shipping bill for something that weight from AUS, Then the vat/duty bill on top :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

But as long as you're happy mate, It's your money to spend and your choice to make 8) :thumbsup: .

Rob

still cheaper then quaife straight cut 1-4 :thumbsup:

bracpan

The ratios are also better on the Quaife plus the build quility does seem to be much better. I have known a PAR box die in less than 2 years, and thats normal road use.
I am going to save for a Quaife. Cheaper and a better box.
Cheers
Phil

00sid

quaife dont do a straight cut syn, kit and when i spoke to them about there straight cut dog kit they wouldnt make me one unless i placed a order for 10 or more. they havent made that kit for a least 10 years. if you want a kit that is top quailty i would recommend the ppg straight cut syn, plus there after sales is top notch.

it might pay to get new syncro baulk rings fitted plus new bearings as these parts dont take much abuse before they go aswell.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
MINESGTIR said:
i know everyone rates quaife but this is a good deal.. im sure PAR will be suitable in my hands !!!!
Its only a good deal if it actually works!! I don't know if I was clear enough the first time....

PAR sell what should be good products but with shocking quality control and you will have to re-engineer their parts to work properly.

Quaife aren't perfect but PAR are IMO an insult to Engineering companies.

My personal experience was with some rods that were so mismatched in weight that the machine shop didn't want to grind anymore metal off and we settled for a 5g difference, similar to OE!. It would have been the easiest thing to try to match rods when they created a batch but they didn't. They also didn't check to see if the notch for the shell bearing was on the correct side. They looked nice but they simply didn't work without being re-engineered that cost time and money. Other people on here have had similar experiences where PAR promised so much and delivered little.

I've had personal experience with Quaife too and they aren't perfect but at least they supplied parts designed for my car

Its a free world so if you think you're getting a good deal with a PAR then try them as they might have improved. But I would recommend you do a search on PAR on this and other forums before you place the order.

Last edited: