PAR (or similar) 1/2 DOG GEARSET

MINESGTIR

AS above..
if anyone has one.. or ill have to buy new from PAR ..

THIS ONE :

http://www.par-engineering.com/nissantirs.htm#nissangtird

GTIR Dog Change

The GTIR 1/2 dog gearset is made from EN36A case hardening alloy steel which is hardened and tempered through a special heat treatment process after the manufacturing stage and is a huge step up for the performance freaks who have screwed a lot more power out of their GTi-R engine. This gearset is suited for drag racing, circuit racing, rallying and hi performance use. If you like 'launching' your car off the line then this gearset will take all the punishment. The benefit of this 1/2 dog gearset is that the gears are wider than standard (to increase strength) with a larger tooth profile meaning that there is a lower number of teeth and each tooth is a lot thicker (to increase strength even more). Lightning fast gearchanges can be made without losing valuable time with this 1/2 dog gearset. This equates to the most power capable racing gearset available. The dog gears will be rated at around 650hp.
A 1/2 dog gearset is suited for people who want to launch off the line in anger while making lightning quick gearchanges from 1st to 2nd, just like a proper race car. A audible metallic 'clunk' might be heard when changing fast, but the engine will be a lot louder. With a little practice a GTi-R fitted with a 1/2 dog gearset will be no extra hassle being used as a regular street driven car. If you are serious about the horsepower output of your GTi-R, then this is the gearset to get. The dogs on this gearset were designed for maximum strength and durability, the end result is the biggest dogs that could possibly be made.

VERY INTERESTED IN ONE OF THESE !!!!!

i know its an expensive bit of kit, if anyone has one they are thinking of selling let me know, or ill just buy a new one......

Tom

MINESGTIR

Hello Tom,

We have got the full 1st~4th dog engagement and 1st~4th synchromesh engagement gear sets available for the GTi-R.

The pricing is as follows:
Dog Engagement 1st~4th - $5,400 AUD
Synchromesh Engagement 1st~4th - $4,400 AUD

Due to the low demand for the 1/2 dog and the accelerated wear experienced by some drivers on the street, we've discontinued the option.

Regards,

Gerard Chan
Precision Automation and Robotics

SO. £2200 FOR THE GEARSET 1-4 ANYONE KNOW WHAT ELSE I WOULD NEED TO MAKE IT WORK ?

MINESGTIR

prob is PPG is twice the price.... "you get what you pay for" i know but for 350 - 400 BHP im sure this would do ?

O

Odin

MINESGTIR said:
prob is PPG is twice the price.... "you get what you pay for" i know but for 350 - 400 BHP im sure this would do ?

So would a quaife and you wouldn't need to send parts half way around the world. If anything goes wrong ;-) .

Rob

MINESGTIR

yes but why would this go wrong?

a quaife 1-4 dog Gearset is how much rob ?

this is £2300 + Shipping from AUS for the complete gearset.. all i need then is new syncros and bearings from nissan i think.....

the link shows the whole thing i think.. , i appreciate help from the "seasoned generation" of GTIR owners... im 22 and this is all good fun to me !

O

Odin

No idea about the dog set, But you wouldn't need one for that kind of power really, I'm going to be using my full syncro quaife with 500 bhp, And ran it for 2 years at 400 bhp with out issue.

Rob

MINESGTIR

a quaife helical is that rob ? may i ask how much you paid?
a quaife helical would be good for how much bhp....?

a quaife semi helical would be good for ? ...

thankyou !!!

O

Odin

MINESGTIR said:
http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/psgearkitsquaife.html

NissanSunny / Pulsar GTiR H/C synchro gearkitQKE8F£1695.00

Would this be a suitable upgrade instead?
is this all i would need.?

appreciate the help guys !!!

You'd need to add vat to that price and any Nissan parts like bearing and such, Plus Bernie's, Fee for building it which is less than £200 I think. ;-) .

That's the same kit as mine.

It could cost you anything from £2000-£3000 in total depending on how much stuff needs replacing in your own box, But that would be the same for all the kits you've listed ;-) .

Rob

O

Odin

MINESGTIR said:
a quaife helical is that rob ? may i ask how much you paid?
a quaife helical would be good for how much bhp....?

a quaife semi helical would be good for ? ...

thank you !!!
Mine came with the car fella so I didn't buy it myself, But it was about £1600 + vat from the bill I have in the paperwork, mine has taken 400 bhp for over 2 years plus 300 + bhp for the 4 years before that, And once my engine is rebuilt I plan to run it at 480-530 bhp, And I'm not to worried about it breaking, But you never know, I did have mine rebuilt after the first 36k though, I think you need to rebuild these boxes from time to time to get the best reliability from them in my opinion.

Rob

MINESGTIR

my mechanic will build it for £10 per hour all i want to be sure of is that £1695 + VAT + BEARINGS AND SYNCROS IS ALL I NEED !!!

is it all i need

O

Odin

MINESGTIR said:
so is your gearbox a dog box odin?
or is it a helical ? semi-helical?

is it straight cut ?

No mine is not straight cut I think its the semi helical because the gears do wine quite a bit 8) 8) ;-) , I'm not a 100% to be honest I didn't think they did anything else apart from the dog set and mine.

Rob

O

Odin

Oh and I wouldn't let anybody else apart from maybe oosid build me a box other than Bernie, Cheap isn't always the right way to go mate, I'm sure the reason mine has lasted is because it was built properly in the first place, The previous owner was lucky enough to have quaife themselves build my box, then Bernie rebuilt it for me.

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
MINESGTIR said:
SO. £2200 FOR THE GEARSET 1-4 ANYONE KNOW WHAT ELSE I WOULD NEED TO MAKE IT WORK ?
Well my PAR rods took about £250 of additional maching to make them work :doh:

How difficult can a gearbox be :lol: :lol:

I've got the quaife semi-helical too, fine for 400hp as proven by me and many others.

I got mine through gears who gave me their supplier discount and built the thing. IIRC it was about £2300 for quaife bits, nissan bits, machining and build.

MINESGTIR

ok my mechanic does know his stuff, he rebuilt a GTIR box for a guy called fraiser who owned his GTIR bout 6 years ago...
then fraiser got 3.74 0-60 on standard box and 1 bar boost with topmount !!!!

hes building a 1000bhp supra himself as we speak and has been messing with cars for nearly 20 years... he has done everything on mine.... so this is the way to go from gearboxman for 400bhp £2400 all in .?

sounds good..

Thankyou rob lots !!!!

Keira

MINESGTIR said:
this is £2300 + Shipping from AUS for the complete gearset.. all i need then is new syncros and bearings from nissan i think.....

you wouldn't need synchros with the dogset...although i'd rather buy 10 standard second hand boxes and have them waiting in the parts pile instead of a par gearset :lol:

MORF114

im hoping for over 4oobhp and just purchased a quaife $5500 + $2000 to put it all together because all the others are a bit too expensive for the hp range and alot of people have proved the quaife is very good for that hp range and as campbellju points out a lot of people have proved it to be very reliable.