OS Giken clutch problem…

JU5TY

Started my car for the first time today following a 3.5year rebuild, all went so well with the actual engine, but there is a problem with the clutch…

The clutch is badly dragging, it goes into gear when the engine is off, but wont when the engine is on, if you start the car with it in gear/clutch down the clutch is dragging so badly to the point it’s trying to drag the car along even with the hand brake on, basically it’s undriveable!

We bled the clutch system, and even tried lengthening the rod to the clutch arm to get more throw, but to no avail.

Any ideas what it could be? I’m so sure I put the plates in the correct way round, but could it be this?

Really don’t want to have to do it, but it’s looking like the gearbox may have to come off…! Help…!

Gray

I think you can just about check if you take the slave cylinder off
but if theyre new then doubt that will be it

think youre gonna have to take the gearbox off mate

1&onlygti-r

i had the same problem mate you need a clutch supprt bracket above the clutch pedal. if you have got that then you might have a crack in your cluch fork. i ripped the pedal of the bulk head straight the way cause i didn't have the support bracket. then i snapped the fork. put a brand new one in now its fine. you may also want to invest in a nismo clutch fork pivot to.

JU5TY

I’ve got a clutch pedal bracket fitted. There were no cracks in the Fork when I fitted it and it hasn’t been anywhere since.
Yeah may buy a Nismo release fork pivot, but it’s only a stronger replacement to the standard clutch release pivot to avoid breakage, so seeing that my pivot is fine cant see it being the problem.

Thanks for the advise though guys, keep it coming…

JU5TY

Clutch was bought 2nd hand, but hadn’t done many miles, guy who balanced everything even said it had loads of life left.

Can only see it being either a problem with the clutch fork/bearing or one of the clutch plates...?

paz

I know that when my car had an OS twin plate in it (pal was the previous owner) it actually bent the clutch fork back - that's where my money would be based on previous knowledge (its one of the reasons I never looked into having it refitted when I got the car).

Paz

zia

yeah lined up is right,i assume you used the os bearing and is correctly fitted,are you on solid mount's then i,d take them off.

zia

JU5TY

Yeah used an OS Giken bearing and fitted it correctly. Guess no choice but to remove the box and have a look.

Yeah got solid Nismo mounts, did everyone come to the conclusion the gearbox ones were too rigid then?

O

Odin

JU5TY said:
Yeah got solid Nismo mounts, did everyone come to the conclusion the gearbox ones were too rigid then?

You maybe asking for trouble with the solid mounts and the OS clutch :cry: , Its seems that everybody thats blow the casing has this combo fitted :cry: .

I'd remove them and just keep the top N/S engine mount solid.

Rob

ex-gtir

sometime you have to space the pivot ball to dissengage the clutch properly on os clutch same a quarter masters or if you have the room between fork and casing at full pedal extend the slave push pin
call me if you need advise justy can get my number off kieron
mike

JU5TY

We tried extending the slave push pin by putting a nut behind the pin to give it more throw, but made no difference. So have you had a similar problem Mike, and spacing out the pivot ball worked? Like you say, would it be easier if I grabbed your number off Kerion.

My machiner asked me if i'd greased the shaft when I fitted the clutch, really cant remember it was so long ago, so I guess the plates could have seized having sat outside for well over a year. Tried a spot of wd40, but hasn’t made a difference.

radiobar

hi !

did you solve your problem with the clutch ?

i might have a similar one.
but its strange.

after the rebuild i have done around 200 miles.
now the clutch seems to stick sometime and i
cant change gear. but sometimes it works ok.

the gearbox is also just rebuild.

any idea ?

thanks

radiobar@gmx.net