Only one headlight working :o(

A

Anonymous

Hi, i seem to only have one headlight, the drivers side one hasn't worked since i fitted my Defi BF gauge which i wired up through the steering collom (how ever it's spelt). :oops:

I was wondering if there was a fuse hidden somewhere. I have checked the main fuse box and everything seems to be ok.

And no it's not the bulb. :roll: :D

Hopefully thanks... :)

T

Tart

Prob an easy answer. There is no seperate fuse for each headlight but it is probably the connector block.

On the back of the headlight there is a three prong black plug. The wiring in the R's is shocking and these blocks are prone to melting!!!!! Ive seen it on 2 R's (including mine). pull it off and have a look! If its not that its probably one of the wires going into it but i suspect is melted.....

Nice n cheap part from any Nissan dealer (just a few quid)!!!

paz

As above, that happened with mine.

If your lucky its probably just worked its way loose ;)

paz

A

Anonymous

The other thing i have just noticed is, the gauge i just fitted dimms when the lights go on, but, i fitted the dimmer wire to one in the collum and it no longer dimms :cry: so i doubt there is any power there at all.

I've played with the plug and it seems fine so i don't think that it is that.

Are the head lights linked from side to side or are they wired all the way back to the switch seperatly like zee german cars? I might cheat if it starts to do my head in and send the P/S headlight power through a pair of relays to the drivers side. :wink: but i'd rather not.
Hope i ain't killed anything..

Cheers

T

Tart

thats strange, it certainly sounds like it blew a fuse but there is no seperate fuse. Im now wondering if one of the wires melted......

Stupid question but the dimmer wire u connected for the guage was definately the same polarity as where u connected it to in the steering column..... i.e. both posotive or both negative........ Otherwise it probably melted at the weakest point in the wire......... :shock:

A

Anonymous

Stupid question but the dimmer wire u connected for the guage was definately the same polarity as where u connected it to in the steering column..... i.e. both posotive or both negative........ Otherwise it probably melted at the weakest point in the wire.........
Well the guage needs a +12v to dim, and it did for a while but now nothing.
I guess i'll have to strip the column again :roll:

I just don't get why it would only be one side if i killed something.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Ahhh..... Well it was a fuse after all that.
The head lights are fused seperatly if anyone has the same prob.
Cheers All