Only 1.5Bar on a 3076R

warringtonjack

Hi Guys

Been a while. My R has finally been mapped by a tuner, but he's only managed to get 1.5Bar out of the 3076R, with boost coming in at around 5k revs. Reckons he can't get it any higher than 1.5, although turbo is putting out good power at that level (325bhp@wheels), but I'd been hoping for 1.8-2.0Bar. Main queries are, why can't he get the pressure any higher? And, is 5k revs normal for a 3076 to kick in? I'd have thought it would have been somewhere around 3.5-4k?

The car is running PFC, z32maf, 1000cc Sards, modified and ported/polished standard manifold, external XS Power wastegate, 3" front exit exhaust with screamer pipe replumbed in before a box (try and keep the noise down!).

Any other questions, ask away. Been well over a year since I last got involved with the R, so I've probably forgotten everything that everyobody told me previously! :D

Thanks in advance!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Boost leak? Are all your pipes lipped and do you have decent mikalor style clips?

5K is typical but with careful tuning you might bring that closer to 4.5K but post a dyno plot up so we can better understand what you're saying.

P

pulsarboby

yeah need to see the dyno readout really as jim says.i would have thought she would have kicked in nearer 4-4.5krpm from what ive seen of them but the tuner obviously had a reason for not pushing any more which could be

1) valve float/bounce
2) lack of fuel for some reason
3) spark blowout
4) boost leak etc
all speculation really which is why you should have asked tuner more questions as to why he could go no further

just out of curiosity what cams you got fitted?

Last edited by a moderator:

warringtonjack

Johnsy = Was company called Indigo GT, more into their Evo's than our little old pulsars.

Jim = All pipes are lipped, and good set of clamps on them. He already found one leak from the connections, so I'm hoping he'd have found any more.

Bob = standard cams, albeit relatively new ones. I did ask him why no further than 1.5bar, and he reckoned it must be the wastegate leaking pressure. No evidence to back this up mind you.

Think I'll have to get someone Pulsar-knowledgable to have a look at it. Where's Ed when you need him?

Thanks for the replies! : )

fast eddy

All the things that have been said, plus wastegate problem

Knowing the approximate % losses of a Pulsar that 325 ATW means around 450 ATF so good power mate

Eddy

ashills

wastegate spring is weak and maybe not sealing properly causing the late boost to come in

what colour spring is in the waste gate and if you run no boost controller what pressure are you getting as alot of the ebay wastegates come with .6 or .8 springs

you can also run a big and little spring together to give you more pressure in the wastegate.

also

just thinking about the boost coming in at 5k is that peak torque or just where it starts to climb on the graph as my old evo on the same turbo was around 5k but that was with big valve head large intake manifold etc so you may just have to make the best with what you have so to speak but should definitely do more boost.

just checked the graphs and i made peak torque at 5200 1.6 bar

Last edited:

warringtonjack

Hey guys

I'll have to have a look at the spring colour, but I never checked, so assuming they are usually sent out with small springs that could well be the problem. Is that the only issue with the XS wastegates? Or are there other issues, and I'm just better off forking out for something a bit more upmarket?

For info, I'm using a Gizzmo MS-IBC controller.

Cheers for the replies lads, all good info. Does sound like the wastegate is the culprit. Maybe I should just stick with the 425-450bhp for now until I get used to it!! Or should I just go balls out and see how close we can get to 500?? Hehe.

warringtonjack

Hey guys, just a quick update. Been having a look at the way my external wastegate has been plumbed in, and I don't think it's right. I've researched my boost controller, the Gizzmo MS-IBC, and I'm sure it's been set up for an internal, rather than an external wastegate.

Problem is, I don't know whether this would cause the symptoms I'm experiencing or not! The photos below show a single vac pipe coming from the inlet manifold, to the solenoid, and then another single pipe from another port on the solenoid to the bottom port on the wastegate. Should the top port on the wastegate not be used? Anybody know whether this existing setup is correct and works? Or is this setup the cause of some of my issues?

Cheers

stumo

watch out for those blue silicone hoses on the manifold, once they melt........

I would say there's a wastgate problem.....

either not sealing due to poor design etc,

or a weak spring

or not plumbed correctly with any of the other problems.

As you're running an external wastegate, see if you can plump it in correctly using both ports, like this....

(obviously the regulator in the pic will be the booooost controller)

Fusion Ed

As I always say assume nothing and check everything. If wastegate doesn't help then you need to put pressure sensors around the system to see what's going on.

325@wheels in my mind is about 410@ fly.

You know that I'm only at the other end of the M4 lolol.

warringtonjack

As I always say assume nothing and check everything. If wastegate doesn't help then you need to put pressure sensors around the system to see what's going on.

325@wheels in my mind is about 410@ fly.

You know that I'm only at the other end of the M4 lolol.
Hehe, Ed I might well be bringing it down to you to get it sorted, but you'll probably tell me to ditch the PFC!! Lol.

Seriously though, I'd like you to have a look at it, and maybe provide ammo against the guys who put it together.

Fusion Ed

PFC is fine, if you have it you don't have to change it. Just if you don't have one then there is no point in getting one either :)