One wish

johnny gtir

The brackets are very heavy, i would love to replace mine with alloy. Was the first thing i thought when i fitted my first engine.

Spikey

I binned one that i thoughted was useless. But the transfere box ones. then the engine mount bracket ones that i can thin off. Ill get them later weigh them and see how much weight we can loose.

Spikey

I thought the group N manual (or what ever it is) just says to bin most of those heavy brackets rather than replace them with aluminium.

There may be a galvanic corrosion issue to consider with two dissimilar metals attached to a block which is also an electrical earth.
I dont think the Difference in Aluminium would make any Difference. I know copper and Ally should not meet (they react with each other) but alloy of Different grade is ok.

Trip

trip, is'nt doing the above to such a large degree (changing the castor) afecting the bumpsteer and or ackermann angle?

Without wanting to deviate this thread from its original discussion, Bumpsteer can always be calculated and adjusted when adding caster. A good way to test this is to put shocks on car without springs. Place the car on turning plates and support car with a jack from the front. You can slowly lower/rise the car and observe the change in toe on the plates. To be honest, I am not too worried about bumpsteer on the front since you can only achieve 0 bumpsteer when steering is at centre position. One should look at rear bumpsteer as this will effect toe on compression/expansion of the coilover.

I do not want to go into the Ackermann theory here since it’s widely debatable all over the net if anti-Ackermann or Ackermann theory is right. I do not see how caster can change this theory though.

skiddusmarkus

I can make you an Alloy housing thats easy. Take a Pipe 80mm then the flange and Weld it together. make the hole for the sensor. stick it in then seal it and job done :) 200£ and its all yours :) But what's the advantage?

People were wanting them so they could run a blow by setup.