One Piece Turbo Outlet and Downpipe

nissannx

My GTi-R engine is placed in a 1992 Nissan NX1600 (100NX) so there are a few things that may not fit with your Pulsar GTi-R. I'm also located in Canada, so may refer to vendors that you don't often use. First of all I got a VRS stainless steel 3" cat back exhaust, including a Magnaflow oval muffler and a magnaflow cat for my NX. This replaces my custom 2" stainless exhaust that I had for years with my 1.6 litre engine - it was restricting my 2 litre turbo somewhat.

Then there's the issue of restriction from the turbo with the cast turbo outlet.

So I went to my friend Aaron's shop Weir-Tech Inc (Aaron is the artist who created all of Will Chan's plumbing for his twin charged Honda!) and he's building me a custom one-piece downpipe - divorced wastegate - with a 3 inch flow.

As the car will never have AC we were able to select a nice long curve rather than the OEM drastic direction change. The one piece design also allows for the wastegate discharge to re-enter the exhaust well away from the turbo. The car spends a lot of time on the track but still is on the street, so an open wastegate was not an option.
Initially Weir-Tech was going to build me a completely OEM direct fit replacement, so if you're looking for that it's possible, but for my purposes this is absolutely the way to go.

I hope that you enjoy this.
Frank

chopper

Frank
I have a 100NX and my plan was to put a GTiR lump in it as love the car but it was just to slow! But instead i just ended up buying a GTiR and sticking with that.
How did the transplant go? what gear box did you use? i was planning to use the box from a almeria GTI/ sunny GTI.
How does it drive? and traction issuses as its only Front Wheel Drive.

I'd love to see some more pics

chopper

oh as for the exhaust that idea is the same as the CES-Racing elbow/downpipe. I haven't installed mine yet but i know a few others on here have and really rate it. dump the 2" and get it 3" all the way through. might be a little noiser but oh well

nissannx

Hi Chopper,
It will be 3" front to back - I'm hoping my neighbours don't mind too much! I haven't seen the CES product - a quick google search didn't turn up any pics but I'll look more later.

This past season I was working through a number of teething issues so didn't have the best times on the track - at Mosport I wasn't able to pick up an official time but it was doing a lot better than with the GA16, I'm guessing 1 m 38 sec which takes about 10 seconds off the previous times. The engine is mated to a P11 transmission (in North America an Infiniti G20) with a Bully Stage 4 clutch to NX2000 axles (100NX with 2 litre) and I've kept the swap as close to GTi-R OEM as possible. Here's a brief forum discussion in Moto IQ.
I'm running Toyo R1R 225 tires and the grip through corners and acceleration is pretty good. I'm still working through some minor issues with vibration (turning right) but otherwise the handling is superb - it's what I hoped for when I dreamed of the transplant.

chopper

http://www.cesracing.com.au/products_2.htm bottom left!

Looks good mate. They didnt do the NX2000 in the UK just the NX1600 AKA 100NX. Like i say i love that car and it handles a treat just needs more power. The P11 in the primera over here i think.
The rust monster is starting to get to my seals and rear archs as i have it just sitting around under a car cover. shame really.

How long did it take you to do the transplant? was the wiring a bitch?
How did the engine mounts fair with the SR20DET to the GA16DE?

nissannx

I had the wiring done by another good friend, Scott at Can-Alignment - he was the lead on the project. Took us about two weeks of very long days and nights. I used engine mounts from the GA, the SR20 and the GTi-R. All stock - but three different cars.