oil temp??

A

Anonymous

when driving thee car reasonable hard the oil temp guage sits at the middle(120) and sometimes just over does this mean i need an oil cooler?? Where and how much can i get one of these for??

M

Mr Overboooost

if your oil temp is sitting at twelve o clock then its only 110 degrees and not 120 .
unless you are driving the car hard all the time then you dont really need one.
prices on oil cooler kits differ by quite a lot depending on where you buy them from and how many row cooler you want.

cheers
gary

A

AZ STE

Thats warm Id make sure you have the correct oil and its been recently changed first .I recently bought a 16 row oil cooler kit with termostat top mount for £125 inc vat.

mattygti-r

agree with AZ if thats your normal temp thast higher than normal

do an oil change and go from there

even when its driven hard normally only sits on about 100

T

Tart

very dependant on the oil and filter u use. My oil temp stays at 80, 90 if ragging, my mates is at 100, 110 if he's ragging, different oil, different filter!!!!

youngsyp

I wouldn't worry mate. That's hardly hot for a turbo charged car. My 16v VW jetta used to run at 120 normally and one reached 150 :shock: no problems with that and it only used semi sympethetic oil ! Don't forget, the oil will need to be hot to work properly !

If you are really bothered, change the oil and filter. Then, if the coolant system hasn't been drained for a while, drain and flush it, the oe oil cooler is water cooled. Then add new coolant. If you can get hold of it, Redline water wetter should drop temps a bit. Bobs your uncle etc...

Having said that, the hottest I have seen mine is 100 degrees and that was at the height of last summer when ragging it. However, as the other replies state, all cars are different.

Cheers

Paul