Oil Separator

JU5TY

Which pipe goes where on the below oil separator. I assume C goes back to the sump. Just don’t know about A and B, which one goes to the outlet on the cam covers and which one goes to the inlet pipe/filter?

Also does it matter if pipe C has a steep increasing gradient before it meets the pipe at the front of the engine where it drains down to the sump? I assume it does seeing as it will only drain out of the separator?

Will there even be that much oil, is it maybe worth using a catch tank over a seperator and blocking off the return to the sump at the front of the engine?

geetee

I think pipe C from the crankcase helps pull the oily fumes into the separator with a bit of sucky sucky action due to the crankcase pressures.

Maybe wrong of course :roll:

As to A and B..... no idea mate - would really depend on the baffling design inside it. May not even matter at all.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

M

memski

I think:

A - to induction
B - to rocker
c - to sump drain

My reasoning is because C is lowest hence will drain residue like forge seperator does. A is higher than B so less risk of blow by being sucked back into induction line (which shouldn't really happen if the tank is properly baffled).

JU5TY

The outlet pipe where the engine vapours are emitted is on the cam covers. Pretty sure the pipe that returns to the sump is just to drain the separated oil so it can be reused.

Think im going to use a catch tank instead, run the pipe from the cam covers to the tank, then just use a mini filter rather than returning the air into the inlet system. Then I can block off the pipe at the front of the engine that returns the oil to the sump...

Edited to say: Cheers mem... :wink:

JU5TY

Can I not do that?

Is the purpose of the catch tank not to catch the oil in the vapour opposed to a oil separator?

zia

what do you think will happen to the sump oil fumes? piston blowby? positive pressure in sump?

zia

JU5TY

Ok, so how about if I run a pipe from the sump return to the one of the outlet pipes on the cam covers, then the other outlet on the cam covers to the catch tank?

zia

this is mine the catch tank is/was connected to the inlet,some peeps will disagree, but there is a reason why all manu use vaccum to suck out the fumes from the sump as it can cause problems and power consumption etc

zia