oil return pipe for 3071 turbo

stumo

I just modified the original but i guess people like Owen, ATP etc will sell a "straight" outlet and you'll have to come up with the rest.

nitrosgti-r

cool, i dont suppose someone could get me some pics so i can get an idea on how to do it and what to use etc. I have have had a bash but i made a right mess of it due to the tight angles etc.

MarkTurbo

where can i get one of these?
How soon do you need one?

I'm working all over xmas :der: But as ive got to drop your cat back round sometime anyway if i did it the first week in january i could have a look and probably make one up at work for you ;-)

nitrosgti-r

Yes mate that would be spot on! I'm not in a major rush for it but this is all that's stoppin me finishin it off now mate. I don't know why I didn't think of you actually cos this would be right up your street,duh.

O

Odin

Is it me or the angle the picture was taken but it looks like that return goes up hill :doh::der:, The oil return is gravity fed so needs to be going down hill not up, You will end up f*cking the turbo bearings if the oil doesn't drain away from the turbo properly.

Rob

nitrosgti-r

cheers for that picture edd, just the job. Gives me somthing to go on now and perhaps odin might have a point if it is gravity fed?

MarkTurbo

As long as the point where the oil leaves the centre housing of the turbo is above the point where it enters the block (which it is) it dosent matter if the return pipe drops down then up again because the oil will still run back into the block ;-)

I thought of a much better way of doing that return earlier when i was at work, just depends if theres room to fit in the 2 fittings i was thinking of using!

Braveheart

I still have my return to sort out.... any options posted here are good and Ed has given me ideas.
Think Mark is right to say the gravity will prevail it this instance and the oil will find it's return.
I bought an oil return flange that came with a 45% bend but it's too far away from the oil return on the sump to massage a pipe in between.

MarkTurbo

My idea was to weld/braze a -10 male fitting onto the standard oil return flange to make something that looked like this:

Then come off that with a 90 degree elbow with a short length of hose and then have a straight fitting on other the end to screw into an adaptor in the block. A bit like this:

So you'd end up with something that looked a bit like this (but with a much shorter bit of hose!) All depends on room though!

Last edited:

cmng

i have the same issue on this

I have to take out the existing return pipe
cut it and weld it with correct angle

nitrosgti-r

yes mark your deffo on the right lines but the space is very limited and, also, on the flange on my the 3071 turbo, i had to elongate the holes so its not a standard fitting. i was thinking to cut the pipe i got and do away with the right angle bend and just run a union fitting and hose to the inlet for the sump using flexi hose if the angles will allow it? i have the same sump inlet fitting as the one in the pic in the middle (prob standard on most R's?) Let me know when you want to come and have a look mate and ill get the car round here and get it in me garage :D

GTIR-LOZ

i bought the plumbing connector that edd has used but with a 90 degree elbow on it the used another 90 degree plumming fitting to make it go straight up agin then i just used a bit of hose to connect pipe to turbo do a search its on here somewhere