Oil pressure low with 5W-40 oil

Davey

About a month ago i changed my oil for some 5w-40 synthetic (doubt it was the "real stuff"). Since then, my oil pressure is a little less than it was before, its still well over 4 when coldish, but when fully warm and idling it drops to just over 1 :? .
The car sounds smoother and quieter, especially when cold, and because a lot of my driving is short journeys (up the shops or pub), i thought 5W might be a good idea
I guess the oil pressure is always lower if you run thinner oil :?: , but is this too low, and is the oil too thin, opinions please
BTW, ive read all of oilmans posts :wink:

MarkTurbo

I always use mobil 1 15w50 or castrol rs 10/60 in mine.

I wouldnt use 5w in my car :wink: Too thin in my opinion (not that my opinion means anything :lol: )

c20ona

yep, same here.i've used millers 10/60 (pricey) since day one and the car's been spot on.i'll need to remember that castrol made the 10/60 as well thought !.

kenny

daz

i have millers cfs 10w 60 in mine and oil pressure is mint i normally run mobil 1 15w50 but thought i would try millers. in my opinion 5w40 is way to thin for the pulsar engine

geetee

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't use 5W in an over ten year old turbo car you *&^%$£

10W60
15W50 will make it rattle less but not get around the bits as fast on a cold morning.

And always fully synth. The oilman has some wise words.

Change it as soon as.

Cheers
GeeTee

O

Olly

5W40 is normally intend for 16 valve / hydraulic tappets engines with compact valve trains and tight tolerances (zetec etc), GTi-R has no hydraulic tappets hence why we can use 10w60 and benefit from it.
5W40 in pulsar is not good for it, get it out and put some real stuff init, heard of scoobies getting poor lube cos of thin oil and picking up on the crank and chucking rods....on track dayz when that oil would get too hot and not protect. 8)