Ohlins Suspension

reckals

I have just been offered Ohlins suspension at a reasonable price. The struts themselves are a bit flakey(paint peeling and the like). They were on a car that hasnt been driven in 3 years or more.

What do you guys think? Should i go for them?

reckals

£175!! Dont know if the person selling knows the value of these as i ''think'' they are a top notch brand?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
They're a good brand but if they need reconditioning it could be expensive to do it properly. They might be worth a punt at that price though.

P

pulsarboby

They're a good brand but if they need reconditioning it could be expensive to do it properly. They might be worth a punt at that price though.[/QUOTE

agree they are fantastic struts with 50mm inserts and sell for as much as coilovers and are far better for road use than coilovers

but if they are leaking it can cost you around £60 a corner to have them refurbed so as jimbo said....deffo worth a punt

reckals

Thats what i was thinking. I might just take a chance. It cant be any worst than my current suspension!

gtirx2

I had these on my R when i first got it and i agree they are a pretty good shock,think they are called ohlins road and track dampers or something.

I had issues with mine though, in that they used to bottom out on the front when using lowering springs,and always seemed a little to stiff on the road,even on there softest settings.

I also had them rebuilt at the time back in 2002 by mick gardener racing,what a fooking joke that was and one of my biggest regrets.
I think it cost in excess of £400-500 to have them all fully rebuilt, and they still were never right.
One shock went back like 4 times to sort the bottoming out issue as it bottomed out before the other front one,but they never did sort it properly.

If you do get them rebuilt steer well clear of mick gardener racing!

I now have the non adjustable silver nismo shocks atm and found them to be just about perfect for a road car,but a little soft for the track.

reckals

I had these on my R when i first got it and i agree they are a pretty good shock,think they are called ohlins road and track dampers or something.

I had issues with mine though, in that they used to bottom out on the front when using lowering springs,and always seemed a little to stiff on the road,even on there softest settings.

I also had them rebuilt at the time back in 2002 by mick gardener racing,what a fooking joke that was and one of my biggest regrets.
I think it cost in excess of £400-500 to have them all fully rebuilt, and they still were never right.
One shock went back like 4 times to sort the bottoming out issue as it bottomed out before the other front one,but they never did sort it properly.

If you do get them rebuilt steer well clear of mick gardener racing!

I now have the non adjustable silver nismo shocks atm and found them to be just about perfect for a road car,but a little soft for the track.
Thanks for the input. i will report back if i do purchase them(most likely will)