Off to the ring on Wed

DanDud

Started a new job (well helping out atm and starting in september) and im off the the ring with them on wednesday (im working for a classic race team working on chevrons, darrens, e-types etc)

If my R fits in the trailer its going with me, it should fit, its a double tier trailer. Or so i keep telling myself.

So basically me and my car are getting a free lift to and from the ring (even tho il be working il have a few hours spare to fly round the ring according to the boss man)

Just want peoples opinions on what to look out for when going on the ring, how much is it again for a few laps?

Is there anything more to look out for apposed to a normal track sinario, apart from all sorts or cars and bikes flying past you at mach 4 all the time.

Cheers

Dan.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
You lucky bar steward ;-) :thumbsup:

Andy (Fubar) just got back from there recently and did an excellent write up. Do a search for him and you'll find it. He even took a photo of the price list.

Have fun Dan

DanDud

Just found that half an hour ago Jim, i couldnt find it the 1st time. 65 euros n im sorted! Its the chance of a life time for me, and possibly (hopefully) the cheapest ring experdirion yet:D

I cant wait now! Soo lucky to get this oppertunity! Work on race cars at the ring and then go out for play in my own car which gets taken there by the team. Awesome!

Il be sure to get lots of pics!

antgtir

Mo Fo!!

Jealousy lol.

Hope you have a great time mate, im sure you will. When Andy went it was pissing down all weekend and he still managed to have a great time so if thats the case id almost gauruntee it :)

Ant.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Nice one Dan. You should have a brilliant time.

It’s something that every petrol head should do one time in their life and it’s not as expensive as you might think. (Ok it was for me, but hey that’s how its goes!)

Not only that you can have the "badge" on the back of your car knowing that you've been. I look forward to your report and see how you get on. Hopefully it’ll be dry for you, if not watch out for those 1st few corners! ;-)

P

pulsarboby

dan
ive known many a person to come unstuck there, without putting a damper on it for you lol

1st thing to look out for is kerbs, unlike on a proper track!
ive seen a porsche upside down in a tree:shock: on my last visit on the bike, i watched the bloke try and get past an aerial atom in front of me and he lost control and clipped the kerb, sending the car spiralling into the air! the track was closed all afternoon and found out the next day the guy had died on his way to hospital:sad:

2) watch out for spectator stands on some of the bends;-)
these were placed at high risk crash points initially, so if you see a spectator stand looming up on you, chances are its a tricky bend!

3) keep a check in your mirrors (unlike trackday) these germans are very quick as they know the circuit like the back of there hand, they will loom out of nowhere and will chop your line on a bend if you dont give way, so just let them go!

4) bikers! theyll come out of nowhere and will be much quicker than you, so once again let them go, as it aint worth taking out a suicide jockey, getting body parts splatted all over your car, and having loads of form filling in to do:lol:
they will also take a different line going into a bend, so be aware of them!

5)make sure your cars 100%, its a 14 mile circuit and not nice if you break down.
so link your rad fans up so they run constant and keep temps down! as well as all the other necessary checks.

dont go quicker than your limits allow or it will end in tears, just be smooth and fluent, it takes months to learn a circuit like that, and you will never learn it in a day or a week, so just drive within your limits and enjoy your day there and you will survive to face another day in the future.
but in all fairness dan, ive seen your driving and your not a bighead who thinks he knows it all, so i think you will be fine mate.
im sure youll fully enjoy your experience and wont stop talking about it for days afterwards, its certainly different to a normal trackday!
have fun you lucky booger8)

DanDud

Well to cut a long story short my car was 6 inches too tall for the trailer we were taking, to say im gutted is an understatement. But hey, spent the entire weekend working, got to see lots of nice cars, lots of racing, and lots of women. To say i enjoyed myself is an understatement, depite not going round the ring i got taken out in a 911 turbo, awesome car! I will be going back, already got the date for next year and the hotel number. And by that point work will have an arctic so my car will deffinatly fit. Iv got some pics, but iv just got home and im knackered, will post them up later.

.............Still bought a sticker, dont tell anyone though;) Technicly i was there, i walked the GP track, just didnt go round the ring.lol

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Sounds like it wasn’t all lost then Dan. Gutted that your car never made it, but now you’ve got an idea where to stay and familiarised yourself with the surroundings.

Still cheating having the sticker on your car even though its not made it yet!!!
;-) :lol: ;-)