Octane booster - any good?

williams

Octane number alone tells you nothing; that's just resistance to knock. However, if you've got more resistance to knock you can run higher boost/compression/ignition advance and get more power from the engine. - That's why it's so important on forced induction cars.

If you compare performance fuels in something like a Mondeo you'll see no benefit because it's not generating any det on standard fuel so gets nothing from increased octane.

Similarly something like ethanol gives you a higher RON value, but it has a lower calorific value so you need to burn more of it (~30% IIRC) to achieve the same power (and by that I really mean the energy from it).
thats why i dont get why people want to use octane booster. your best just using what your cars mapped for imo. get it mapped on shell vpower and run it on vpower.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There is a point if you're running high boost or you know you get some det. - For example if you know that after half an hour of hard driving you start getting limp mode, then it might be worth whacking some in before the next time.

In the same way that chip fat is not bio-diesel, and no matter what anyone says about the diesel engine the modern ones are not designed to run on it. - Yes it works, but not as well as if you'd gone to the effort of cracking the triglyserides so that it's like real diesel...
I was talking to someone about running a Forula 3 car on biodiesel; the short version is that you need to remap for every new batch of biodiesel because it changes so much from one lot of oil to the next. However, if done properly you should be able to challenge for a place on the podium.

GTiR_Lee

A friend of mine use'es Lucas's stuff and swear's by it .
This is taken from one of his post's on another fourm i'm on .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lucas-Octane-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3eefdfef39

One bottle treats 2 tankfuls so 24 fill ups for £100 (They will do it for £100 posted if thats what you offer
)

Just mix it with any super unleaded it will be fine , I used it in my Skyline* and now in the Evo , often fill up with BP Ultimate and then put some of this stuff in

*On my Skyline it would reduce knock by 20 points on the power fc so works very well

k20 gtr

Hi guys,
What a debate I've started :)
Basically its just lying around in the garage so I thought i would ask before bothering putting it in the car, I didnt think it would do much without being mapped to suit it, but by the sounds of it, it will help protect the engine at the trackday.
It does have a walbro pump, but yes standard injectors.
I always thought 3 points then meant 102 octane with 99 :doh:

fast eddy

Yes a debate lol.

As i said, i mainly use it as an insurance against det on track, when temps/stresses are high, even if the car is set up well. If it gives a few more ponies, that is a bonus.

Eddy

johnsy

Not cheaper in the long run to setup a water injection kit, or a 50/50mix water/meth injection kit?

im sure it'll out perform any additive

, id be more worried about fuel surge on trackdays than Det

skiddusmarkus

You found a supplier for methanol yet Jonesy?Or even better a brand of screenwash with a high methanol content?I can't find anyone local and don't particularly want to store explosive, poisonous liquid when I have a 4 year old in the house.

Octane boster has its place, especially when you cannot get hold of premium super.

johnsy

its plenty available on ebay!

dont store it in the house lol, get a chem or flam bin, iv stored 100's litre's of paints and thinners in the past without any problems,

aint octane booster a waist of time though unless you ve had your car specifically mapped to run on it, same as water meth you canrun it and it will reduce temps but you really need to have it mapped in to benefit from it performance wise,

I got the aquanmist 1's kit, but i think im gonna get the AEM system eventually seems a good little kit for 300quid

skiddusmarkus

its plenty available on ebay!

dont store it in the house lol, get a chem or flam bin, iv stored 100's litre's of paints and thinners in the past without any problems,

aint octane booster a waist of time though unless you ve had your car specifically mapped to run on it, same as water meth you canrun it and it will reduce temps but you really need to have it mapped in to benefit from it performance wise,

I got the aquanmist 1's kit, but i think im gonna get the AEM system eventually seems a good little kit for 300quid
Haha I wouldn't store it in the house, probably the garage but not 100% happy with having any large quantity anywhere really.

You can turn you 1s into a pretty decent setup with the FIA2 controller which will then give you a rising rate of spray linked to injector cycle.