nuRburgring fun

CruiseGTi-R

Had an awesome time last week. Me and my bro took the R down to the Nurburgring Nordeshliefe circuit.

On the Friday it was a national holiday so everyone showed up, the paddock was full of track prepped M3 CSL’s and 911 GT2’s and 3’s, god knows where these people get their cash, some serious toys.

Only R there, even had people strolling past 911's to take a photo of the R and chat, was well chuffed.

It was pissing with rain on the Friday. Track took some getting used to, one corner after the other, sodding brilliant. Had some great tussles with shocked looking German’s in 911’s, RS6’s, Mercs, M3’s, etc etc.

Couple of blokes giving me an appreciative nod after coming in. Lots of sideways action for the people watching on the corners, so all was going well, till I got carried away…

Basically a tank slapper, caught the first couple of slides but once on the grass we hit and rode up the bank before coming to rest. Can see the marks on the bank where the rear tyres were.

Bumper was yanked off (unfortunately tore out the holes in the wings, so they’re bugared) and tow eye totally bent over. Rear bumper is smacked in, exhaust bent, flat rear tyre and a few scratches. Not bad really, lucky not to have hit the Armco on the other side (that’s stuff is £75 a meter if you damage it). Bit embarrassing as they closed the track and hauled us off.

Took it to local garage, had to bore out the valve hole in the rim to accept non-jap valve size (grief), fixed bumper (sort of), and bent rear bumper back out. Perfect, like new :-D .

Car was ok enough to go back out the next day, a few puzzled faces who’d seen us leave the paddock the day before. This day was dry, so everyone was out, had that Sabine chick in an M5 taxi come hairing it past and pull enormous slides right infront of us, unbelievable stuff. Saw all sorts of wrecks through the day too, they drive like nutters.

Anyway, good crack, but I really need a new front bumper. Luck would have it that the tow eye area is all cracked, need a bumper asap to carry on making covers, so anyone with a spare for sale?

Cheers, toby

THUMBNAILS RRRUUUULLEE!

Last edited:
R

RUDI-GTIR

mate gutted for ya still loks like u had sssssooooooo much fun it dont matter.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Aww, going off the track in style 8):thumbsup: not unsual for an R lol.

Bet you still had fun though!

Gray

I saw a GTIR on the nurburgring webcam on the 27th saturday at about 12:40 (german time 11:40 GMT)
My mate has saved the picture of it somewhere - be mad if it was you lol

Last edited:

Gray

It was where you line up at the barriers to go on
Was black and had the standard number plate in the middle so im thinking it must be you
I'm trying to get it off my mate now - im hoping he still has it uploaded on his photobucket

Gray

Not sure if he still has it. Looks like you had a blast though! How much did it cost you in total to go? Did you trailer the R there or drive it? Me and my mates are going to go next year gonna need to save about 1250 to do it I reckon.

maz

ack that sucks u damaged it mate, is the exhaust all right in the end? as u just fitted it recently did you not? glad to hear you had fun anyway, nice pics!

CruiseGTi-R

the tip of the exhaust dragged against the bank. it was quite funny cos it had rocks sitting in it the size of golfballs, bloody 5 inch! It was a bit mangled, but mostly bent round on the clamp, so bit of pulling and bending and it seems ok.

we drove down, almost 2300 miles total in the five days. Track is 16 euro a go, 56 euro for 4 laps and less again for 8 laps etc.

Between us we spent 1500 quid, (was about £600 in petrol alone and ferry etc (tow truck cost 175 euro too, bit of a bugar)).

R never missed a beat the whole trip, including running 120mph for a couple hours on the autobahn's, hammering the hell out of it round one of the worlds fiercest tracks, crashing, going round again, then driving all the way home. Car was bloody awesome, don't need any other car. Am now fully commited to developing the car specifically to beat 911 GT2's :-D .

Last edited:

houghy_1

Good lad8)

Thats one trip id love to make8)

Glad your still smiling despite the little incident:roll: :p

Think ill start practising on the ps2:twisted:

Matt

G

GTI-R Kid

Planning a trip there for September so a couple of questions if ya don't mind....

How bad was the track on tyres? Judging by the fact that you stacked it I'm guessing you didn't spare them when it was dry the following day!

How many laps did you manage to complete (kinda ties in with the first question)?

How bad were the queues on the busy day?

Cheers

CruiseGTi-R

On the wet day the tyres lasted fine, even though they were actually screaching on some corners in the wet!

In the dry they wore very quickly. But I only did 2 dry laps before it rained again.

Did 9 laps in total (about 21/2 hours if you include queuing and going through gates), would like to have done more but coming off robbed us of time a bit.

Queues were fine, even on the saturday, but probably cos the weather was on/off. People I chatted to said that sometimes the queue would stretch back out the gates and down into the village.

It was actually my first ever trackday, should probably have chosen a slightly easier one (I only live 5 mins from castle coombe :-D )

CruiseGTi-R

Well my second ever lap in full wet was 10:17.

I thought this was pretty good, then remembered Sabine did similar time in a transit (although was dry, and she is a pro driver....)

Gray

Yeah remember top gear an Clarkson trying to get a diesel Jag round in under 10 minutes.

CruiseGTi-R

yeah, he did 9:59 or something.

there were a couple of blokes there with track specced Supra's, one had done a 7:40 before, pretty rock.

think record is 6:45 or something, Radical turbo SR thingy.