Not running well

bengilmore

Was out in the R last nite and stopped it for bout an hour, then started it up again to go home, drove about half a mile and it started to splutter and was holding back really badly,

got it home cause was only bout another half mile from home and then it conked out when i stopped to reverse into the parking space, started it up again, parked it and had a quick look around the engine bay, thought i had maybe blown a pipe off somewhere. Couldnt see anything so left it until this evening.

Started it today for about 15mins and it seemed ok so went for a quick spin but it started acting up again. Brought it home and there was a strong smell of petrol from it and it was blowing out black smoke, it was also idling at 250rpm and really conking out the whole time. :cry:

then it was fine 5 mins later
:?
any ideas :?

bengilmore

Didnt check the fault codes yet, will do that tomorrow evening.

It was sounding as if it was running on 3 cylinders

thought there could be water round a plug or a faulty ht lead

A

AJ4

could be water in a plug hole, but doesn't really come and go, its more constant. Did it rain heavy in between it running fine and running crap ? You got a top mount or front mount ?

bengilmore

Have a top mount.

Was running crap, then got out of the car to run into the house to get something and when i came out it was running fine, didnt turn the car off, this happened in about 30 seconds.

Will take it for a spin now and see what its like

bengilmore

Ok, checked all the pipes and there ok 8)

checked the maf plug and it seems ok, 8)

did a fault code check and got code 34 = detonation sensor circuit,
cleared the codes then. :?

Its running fine now but it still has a VERY strong smell of petrol and gases coming from the exhaust when idling
:?
Any ideas :?:

A

AJ4

It means the det sensor is probably knacked ( very common fault ). The car is in "limp home mode" which is why its running so crap...

Best thing to do is change the sensor ( try and borrow one first instead of buying one ), that should clear.

Oh, and you need 7ft long arms and lots of patience, its at the back of the engine under the plenum ;)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Unless you have multi jointed arms that are thinner than a pipe cleaner, yes it's a 110% pain of a Job.

If you have the gear and have done it a few times (as I have ) it's actually easier and quicker to drop the engine, swap the det sensor and put the lump back in.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Hannies how to said:
From the top,remove intercooler if top mounted and rear hose
remove the large dump valve pipe that goes to the inlet manifold
undo the 12mm bolt that holds the y shaped manifold support bracket on,on the passenger side of the inlet manifold just below where the rear intercooler pipe goes on.
On the back on the y shaped bracket near the top passenger side the vacuum pipes that come from the back on the manifold should be secured by a cablie tie type thing if they are you will need to release them from it
Jack car up and put on axle stands
Remove exhaust downpipe and oil filter
place rubber glove,food bag or something over where the oil filter goes on to stop any oil dripping on your face
Remove the switch multiplug from its mount on the drives side of the y shaped bracket
Remove the 12mm bolt that holds the Y bracket to the drivers side of the inlet manifold underneath best to use a couple of long extensions and a wiggley end for this
remove the 2 9/16 or 14mm bolts from the base of the Y bracket
the bracket should now be free(ish)the loom that goes behind it may be clipped into it about 1/4 way up it and will require unclipping so as not to stretch the loom
move the Y bracket as far as you can to the passenger side
look up towards the centre of the block just below the large water pipe that runs across the back of the engine and you'll see the det sensor held on by a 12mm bolt through the centre of it don't even bother trying to remove the plug from it
Undo the 12mm bolt using the long extensions and wiggley end again with the sensor removed from block its now much easier to remove the plug
Fit new sensor to the plug make sure block is clean where sensor bolts on and refit in reverse order.
Enjoy
OMG :shock: :shock: These days after numerous engine out sessions on the driveway I can have the engine out and back in again in about 4 hours, so given the choice of the above or engine out (no disrespect to Hannie) I know which method I'd use.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
stevepudney said:
OMG :shock: :shock: These days after numerous engine out sessions on the driveway I can have the engine out and back in again in about 4 hours, so given the choice of the above or engine out (no disrespect to Hannie) I know which method I'd use.
I think Hannies method was taken form a previous post (ie someone else) when the how to section started disappearing :shock:
If you don't have the facilitys to take the engine out, then the above is an option. :wink: