no power and popping after 3,000rpm

Mist-R

Hey guys, my cars been running fine, sat for a lil while in the garage, now on normal driving its still fine, as soon as it starts to come on boost the car holds back and misfires/pops (sounds more like too much air than a fuelled banging!) Any idea's?
Just tried another second hand AFM, no change.
The car is pretty much standard, Exhaust, Air filter, Pivot Air Flow Conditioner Controller thingy that i dont use.

Mist-R

Also, i took all the leads and the dizzy cap off to check everything went back tight and wasnt loose etc, has anyone got a pic of the inside of a dizzy cap so i can compare what mine looks like, not sure if it looks work out or not.

P

pulsarboby

do a code check to see if any faults are apparent, before doing anything else.
are you sure the other afm was a good working one?
is the plug connector to it nice and tight with the proper clip?

if all the above are perfectly ok then its a case of running various checks on ign and fuel system as anything wrong from either can cause this problem

Mist-R

Whats the score with these dizzy caps? Mines the same as the one on the left, but the pins at the bottom of the cap are still sticking out like the ones on the right hand cap. The ones at the top are flush with the plastic, does this mean theyve worn right down..........

Mist-R

Ok, im getting one from Halfords for 30 quid to see if its the problem, i did the fault code check and got 55 so i guess theres no other problems and seeing as the car runs fine up to 3000 rpmish it wouldnt pick up on the fault check would it.

Mist-R

Ok commence the attacks on me ! I feel like such a pratt, and all because i didnt have the right size plug socket.
I put a new dizzy cap and rotor on, changed the air flow meter, then did the plugs.....................

Mist-R

i bought it as it is in May, i intend to leave it as it is because nothings gone wrong except that so far, i spent over 10k on my last one and never doing that again, its still quick enough how it is. I never use it either, its done 1000miles in 7 months.

Mist-R

I'll start cleaning it up like my last one when the weathers good again. Spent a lot of garage hours on the old one.........

Wow, old photo lol.....