No oil pressure!

Sweeny

Finally got round to changing my gearbox and come round to starting the engine and i have no oil pressure at all!

Seems strange as we havn't touched the engine, and havn't left any plugs off coz the ecu fault code check is all clear. The oil light doesn't go out and there's no oil getting to the top of the engine. There doesn't appear to be any big dints in the sump to block the pick up pipe.

The only other thing done at the time was an oil and filter change.

Any ideas chaps before i start looking at the oil pump etc.

Cheers.

Last edited:
W

WoOsH

dont run it till you have found the problem or you'll wreck the engine. check the oil filter and sump plug are dun up tight. hav u got oil showin on the dipstick?

Sweeny

WoOsH said:
dont run it till you have found the problem or you'll wreck the engine. check the oil filter and sump plug are dun up tight. hav u got oil showin on the dipstick?
Dont worry pal i aint that daft :lol: , cheers anyway ;-)

Yeah the filter and plug are in ok, and the oil level is fine.

W

WoOsH

lol thank god for that, I had visions of another Breaking R post in the for sale section. the oil pressure/light sensor connector is right next to the oil filter check that is connected properly, if so your looking at oil pump or bottem end problems. wot was your oil pressure like b4? was there any loud knocking noise? wot oil have you put in?

stu-gtir

It could be the oil filter fella but then again it would have leaked if it wasn't on properly. it's a weird one!

Sweeny

WoOsH said:
lol thank god for that, I had visions of another Breaking R post in the for sale section. the oil pressure/light sensor connector is right next to the oil filter check that is connected properly, if so your looking at oil pump or bottem end problems. wot was your oil pressure like b4? was there any loud knocking noise? wot oil have you put in?
Nah i aint breakin this one fella ;-)

Oil pressure was bob on before it woz taken out for the new box, engine has never missed a beat prior to this.

Its a hiteq built engine with hks pistons etc. so should be pretty bullet proof. Ive put millers 10w60 in and its always run on that and never had any probs.

No loud knockin noises mate, the oil light was on when i started her for the first time since the new box, oil pressure gauge didn't even register so i knocked her off straight away!

W

WoOsH

remove your spark plugs and try crankin it for a while to see if the oil pressure builds. it can take upto 1 min of crankin to build up the oil pressure. also did you prime the oil pump/filter wen u did the oil change? ie fill oil filter with oil

Sweeny

WoOsH said:
remove your spark plugs and try crankin it for a while to see if the oil pressure builds. it can take upto 1 min of crankin to build up the oil pressure. also did you prime the oil pump/filter wen u did the oil change? ie fill oil filter with oil
We took the coil lead off and cranked it for a while but still nothing. Will takin the plugs out make a difference?

No i didnt prime the pump or filter when we did the change, never have done previously and its always been ok.

W

WoOsH

nah takin them out shouldnt make a difference, just make crankin easier coz there aint no compression. as for priming the oil pump/filter its advisable but not necessary as it makes it easier for the oil pump to pull oil through after its been stood for a while. if you undo the oil filter a little way does oil start dripping/flowing out? if so that suggests the oil pump is ok, if not it cud be the oil pump has gone, the oil pick up is blocked or bottom end problems.

W

WoOsH

if the oil filter is still bone dry try fillin it with oil wait for the filter to soak it up and put it back on. then try crankin again

Sweeny

WoOsH said:
if you undo the oil filter a little way does oil start dripping/flowing out? if so that suggests the oil pump is ok, if not it cud be the oil pump has gone, the oil pick up is blocked or bottom end problems.
WoOsH said:
if the oil filter is still bone dry try fillin it with oil wait for the filter to soak it up and put it back on. then try crankin again
Will give it a try tomorrow mate cheers :thumbsup:

Sweeny

WoOsH said:
kk buddy let us kno how it goes
no worries pal....wil do ;-)

cheers

*** Edited to say the above problem has now been fixed and the engine is running sweet!!

Ended up being the sump belly pan had been dented up and was blocking the oil pickup pipe from picking up oil!

Last edited: