no clutch pressure

samgtir

this mornin on the way to work the cluch pedal has dropped to the floor and i cant get gears, my first thoughts were that the clutch has gone but a few people at work reckon its the slave cylinder, does anyone have any ideas?????

O

Odin

Sounds more likely to be one of the cylinders yes fella, Check for fluid leaks.

What colour is the fluid ??.

Rob

PaulB

hmmm, youl have to get your head underneath the pedal box inside and have a peek. Need to see if theres fluid leaking or anything.

Could be a knackered slave cylinder or maybe a split hose. Dunno how easy/hard they are to change tho. Have you got an uprated clutch ?

samgtir

i'm not sure what clutch is in it to be honest, there isn't any signs or leaks ect, is the slve cylinder the one at the front right hand side of the cylinder head with the bleed nipple???

O

Odin

samgtir said:
i'm not sure what clutch is in it to be honest, there isn't any signs or leaks ect, is the slve cylinder the one at the front right hand side of the cylinder head with the bleed nipple???

Yes it is mate, Its very easy to change and bleed.

Have you checked the colour and level of your fluid yet ?, If the fluid is black that could mean that the rubbers are f*cked.

Rob

O

Odin

samgtir said:
yeah the fluid is black, just been quoted 45 plus vat for the cylinder is that cheap???

That's about right ;-) .

When mine went I replaced all the components in the system, And have never had another problem, Just remember if the slave is X years old then so is the master cylinder and clutch hose, So if you just change the slave be prepared for one of the others to let you down soon.

Rob

PaulB

no probs.

Take some pics, and post up ya progress mind, might help people who come to do it inthe future :thumbsup:

scottyd

i had that problem not long ago, turns out the pipe and the seal burst, just replaced those parts bled the system and bobs your uncle.

boucherie

sorry to drag up an old thread!

yesterday when driving in town i had problems selecting gears and the pedal just kept getting lower and lower until i got no gear selection.

this has been an intermittant problem over the past couple of years but i never really worried too much about it as it has always seemed to self cure!

once i managed to pull over and pump the clutch pedal for several minutes i got the pedal back and was able to continue driving around.

I think that there could be quite a bit of moisture build up within the fluid which would explain why this only happens when the engine has been on a decent stretch or quite a bit of town driving. coolant temps are around 80-90deg C when this happens.

The fluid is black, so what i want to do initially is flush out all the old fluid and replace with new so where abouts would i find a draining point on the clutch side?

If the problem persists then i will look at getting the cylinder kits and replacing them when the engine is removed.

Jonesy

I had this problem not to long ago. Thought it was temperature related as it got worse after a long drive or after sitting in traffic for a while. Turned out the 3 of the 4 spot welds had broken away from the clutch bracket on the bulk head, think it got worse after sitting in traffic for a while because the bracket flexed even more and hence got less clutch travel. Could be worth a look.
Dont think the clutch fluid actually gets that hot, worth changing though. Think the best way is just to connect a hose onto the bleed nipple and bleed all the old fluid out into a bottle or somthing, top the reservoir up as your doing it untill new fluid starts coming out the bleed nipple.

boucherie

cheers mate,

dumbass question time now, how hard is it to get to the bracket and wheres the bleed nipple so i can go and investigate further this evening!

Jonesy

The bleed nipple is on the slave cylinder on the gear box.
The bracket you can see if you lie in the drivers footwell looking up behind the dash. If you push the clutch pedal with your hand you should see the bracket flexing away from the bulk head if the spot welds have broken away.
You can also see the spot welds if you look through the plastic covering around the window wipers at the bottom of the wind screen. Get some one to push the clutch pedal and you should be able to see bracket moving away from the holes for the spot welds.

Jonesy

geoff pine said:
When my bracket went that was it no clutch at all ?just 45miles after i had an uprated clutch .
I still had one spot weld left holding the bracket on so the clutch worked with reduced travel.

LeeB

exactly the same thing happenned last week to mine, was the slave cylinder, had that and the master changed to £144 from nissan, good as new now!