Nissan Sunny UK

saddler

im trying to find out as a fact !! As the editor at total nissan has his doubts to it being built there. He thought the cars was built in japan and then adapted for uk use..

Stevey

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the reason there was an odd number of UK spec cars (69? 71?) was because some "fell off the boat" on the way over. Was the Sunderland plant even operating way back then ?

Stevey

red reading

Chassis code's starting JN1 were built in japan,SJN were built in sunderland and VSK was spain,my 2 uk cars were built in japan and modified in the uk at the port to meet uk laws. middlehust nissan used to do the uk conversion's on the skyline's for nissan so maybe they did the sunny's too. that's as much as i know.

red reading

I got that info on the chassis code's from a nissan dealer i know, and the middlehurst thing from a skyline offical book on the model

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes, the chassis code tells you where it was made... but does SJN or VSK actually appear on any of the shells? I would have thought that the lot came on the boat from Japan and were modified for local compliance (perhaps in Sunderland or Spain?)

As you've said, both of yours are JN1s:

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
i sent nissan japan customer service a big list of questions last year,
sadly, most of the replies were "sorry, no information", but they did respond to these:

12. What location was the EGNN14 model assembled?

Tochigi Plant and Kyushu Plant in Japan

13. Which countries was the EGNN14 model officially sold in?

Almost all countries except Italy in Europe:

Germany, Spain, France, UK, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium, Austria,
Portugal, Greece, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland,
Cyprus, Malta, Poland, Czech, Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Baltics, CIS (Russia)
although based on the lack of other information (and the questionable accuracy of the countries above)
i am unsure if they took the time to fully research their archives (of which i'm sure they would retain in traditional japanese style),
so remain unconvinced it is entirely accurate...

wikipedia claims japan
i wrote the wikipedia article - the information in question was based on the above email (which i figured was better than no info)

does SJN or VSK actually appear on any of the shells?
i too would like to know if anyone has ever come across one of these vins!

cheers,
shalom

stumo

Yes, the chassis code tells you where it was made... but does SJN or VSK actually appear on any of the shells? I would have thought that the lot came on the boat from Japan and were modified for local compliance (perhaps in Sunderland or Spain?)

As you've said, both of yours are JN1s:
George,

ALL the GTiR's were built in Japan, the UK cars have 17 digit VIN's that start JN1.

Cars that were built in Spain...eg the Serena, Pathfinder etc have a Vin starting VSK and have nothing to do with any GTiR's.

Middlehurst did indeed modify the official UK R33's and were the only official dealer to sell them too.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ah - I'm with you now; I thought you meant that the Nissan dealer had told you some of the VINs showed that there were Sunnys built in the UK and/or Europe! - I'm pretty sure I looked my VIN up and it came back Kyushu plant, but I already knew it was made in Japan because it's a Pulsar.

EDIT: I've got that all arse-about... it was Danny, not you Stu! So; I thought Danny meant that the Nissan dealer had told him that...

...and thanks Shalom, you've probably realised that I shamelessly hotlinked that VIN picture from GTRIROZ.net - You are a veritable tome of information.

red reading

I was'nt saying any sunny/pulsar's were made in spain etc ,i was trying to say that the first 3 digit's of the vin state were the car was made.as usual people read too much into it.......