Niisan Boost solenoid and Greddy profec A?

O

Olly

Just tryying to reduce lag as much as poss, and was wondering what happens or if anyone has tried to use the Nissan boost solenoid in conjunction with a boost controller, what ya reckon might happen????
Its just a thought at the moment :idea:

ex-gtir

useing the bleed type boost solenoid they do seem to spool up a lot quicker with my switch able boost against a avcr set at the same 0.9bar the switch solenoid spools a lot quicker
hope this helps
mike

J

J-GTi-R

It certainly does seem to spool up very quickly, and I've just made 296 bhp off of one... 8)

O

Olly

I kind of thought that to, after seeing them rallycross boyz again at Lydden in the pits under the bonnets, i just thought how much quicker my R would be on pure response (boost) so will have a play and give it a go and see what happens. :D

cmng

Can it done ?
how ?
since i have one HKS EVC 2 but without solenoid

any diagram for hose fitting

Thanks

O

Olly

All done gonna leave it on now quite happy with that, makes 1.3 bar in 1st now much quicker spool up, drives like it used to just picks up faster and harder good all round performance (that i like :lol:) just tweaked boost controller down (did see 1.5 :roll: ) and left it plumbed where nissan had but it is before the boost controller solenoid valve. :lol:

C

Crazy

Can this be done with any of the Greddy boost controllers???

Greddy Profec B 2???

Always thought that my bleed valve spooled up a lot quicker :?

Give me a few tips on what to do Olly :wink:

geetee

why? that's all I can say.

I thought the EBC's like the Profec B held all the boost away from the actuator until it's time to pop the wastegate open.

Why does adding a bleed type solenoid to the equation help???

Confused :?

Cheers
GeeTee

ex-gtir

geetee said:
why? that's all I can say.

I thought the EBC's like the Profec B held all the boost away from the actuator until it's time to pop the wastegate open.

Why does adding a bleed type solenoid to the equation help???

Confused :?

Cheers
GeeTee
i think it its time that causes it the boost pressure rise againt the boost controller solenoid and reachs set pressure and open and drop boost pressure out wastegate withe the factory solenoid its always leaking of boost pressure so takes longer for the boost to get to actuator
they used to do the 1 bar mod with a length of pipe at a set length
mike
doubt that makes much sence sorry

O

Olly

Mike's theory is the same as mine, also on Profec A there is a very small little vent pipe on the actuator valve block, so add that vent pipe to atmosphere with the Nissan solenoid and bingo you get quicker turbo response, especially in low gears. all depends on your boost controller and how much boost you choose to run. Thats why. :)

C

Crazy

i think it its time that causes it the boost pressure rise againt the boost controller solenoid and reachs set pressure and open and drop boost pressure out wastegate withe the factory solenoid its always leaking of boost pressure so takes longer for the boost to get to actuator
they used to do the 1 bar mod with a length of pipe at a set length
mike
doubt that makes much sence sorry
:? :?

Mike's theory is the same as mine, also on Profec A there is a very small little vent pipe on the actuator valve block, so add that vent pipe to atmosphere with the Nissan solenoid and bingo you get quicker turbo response, especially in low gears. all depends on your boost controller and how much boost you choose to run. Thats why.
Can you run this by me again but in Dumb@ss talk, just need somebody to put it into plain english :?

geetee

The Greddy solenoid is controlled by headunit.

Presumably it opens the wastegate early to prevent spiking??

Where do you place the bleed in this setup? Between the Plenum and the solenoid or between the solenoid and actuator?

I'm still not sure I understand how/why this should help - surely you end up having to adjust the boost down on the Greddy unit?

Wouldn;t increasing the Start boost and Gain have the same effect?

Perhaps I'm just being duuumb... :cry:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

JamesB

nah gee tee - Im lost too... I though the greddy sol opens up at the ideal moment in time - hence the reason for havin one. Can anyone explain in the most layman speak possible please

GINGA

Sounds like my setup as i've got a dawes style thing and the boost controller on mine, its still laggy though :evil:
The idea of keeping the dawes was that it keeps the pressure away from the actuator until the set limit in reached which should in theory reduce lag as it should stop the actuator creeping open as the boost rises.

geetee

But if the Greddy solenoid is any good it should keep all the pressure away from the actuator itself without needing any help from a bleed valve etc surely??

hmmmph... knew I should have bought a Dawes Device instead :)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

ex-gtir

i think the idea is not to keep the pressure away from actuator
dawes devices set a 1 bar is not as good as a standard solenoid bleeding off to 0.9bar :?

O

Olly

Yeah i know where your coming from its not about boost Geetee its about spool up. :lol:

J

JamesB

Tell me if this theory of mine is on the mark. The bleed valve setup allows the wastegate to leak a fraction allowing slightly more airflow/less back pressure on the impeller - hence quicker spool cause the less resistance. Whereas an ebc keeps the wastegate shut dissalowing that quicker spool... Yes, No, Maybe??? If this is right or not, whats better at the end of the day?!?!?

GINGA

Well in theory having the wastegate as tightly shut as possible(no pressure getting to actuator) during spool up should produce the quickest spool up as all the exhaust gases will be going past the exhaust turbine wheel but from what Mike and Olly are saying this may not be the case :?
And bleeding off some of the pressure to the actuator via a bleed valve or the standard boost solenoid produces better spool up 8) certainly seemed to work well on J-GTIR's car :D