newby needs help!

P

petegtir

hi,

i'm pete and sadly this is my first post.
i have got myself a gtir and it has been sat around for about a year. there is about 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it and i'd like to dump the lot before driving the car. i'm sure the fuel has gone off as the car pops and bangs a bit on idle. i have only driven the car at parking speeds so far.

is there a drain plug on the gtir fuel tank? there was one on my old s13.
if no, what is the best way to get the old fuel out?

thanks pete.

Mr GTiR

The cheap way - with a hose pipe and suck :shock:

The easy way – stick a couple of bottles of Octane booster in and just drive round on it until it’s all used up. Just don’t nail the car and run it on standard boost and you should be ok.

The hard way – disconnect your fuel line (feed) on the fuel pressure regulator and put that end into a petrol can. Take your coil lead off and crank the car. The fuel pump should pump the petrol straight into the petrol can. If you have ¾ this may take a while. :p

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
petegtir said:
hi,
i'm sure the fuel has gone off as the car pops and bangs a bit on idle.

thanks pete.
Possibly but cars don't like sitting around unused for a long time. I think it'd be worth a good servicing and changing the plugs/leads/rotor arm/dizzy cap/fuel filter/oils etc

Also do a fault code check just to make sure nothing has started playing up while it's been sat.

P

petegtir

thanks people!

i think i'll suck it out with a plunger in a tube.. save me sucking on the end of the tube.

is there a workshop manual for the gtir? i had one for my old s13 and that was very useful.. saved asking many questions

currently the car is sat under cover but it was under a car cover for the year it was sat. i have orderd some new tyres and i'm doing an oil and coolant change this weekend.
you think the plugs may have gone off while it was sat too?
the dizzy looks like new inside. should it be ok to use? the car starts first time. i've not had it over 2000rpm yet just to be on the safe side.

P

petegtir

update.

right i have changed the diff, gearbox, engine, coolant, brake and clutch fluids. i have put new fuel and oil filters on and fresh fuel.

checked the plugs and they look fine. almost like new. had a peek at the pistons and i cant really see anything but they are very clean and shiny.

i've got some new pads and discs on order as the old ones are quite rusted up where its been sat. my tyres wont be here for a few days yet.

i've taken it for a bit of a test drive now. seems ok. just building up the revs slowly. let it all warm up on idle first.
got up to about 5k in 3rd gear. cant really go any faster on the roads round here.
seems very smooth and runs quite well. the brakes are rubbish tho. was hard to stop quickly even from just 60mph.

all the gears seem to work well and dont feel like they are about to break. (i hope)
there is defo a mad clutch in there. i stalled it as i pulled away the first time and the car lept forward a good few feet. very on/off clutch pedal. is this a normal clutch for the gtir or is it bust or uprated?

i've had a read of the faq's and none of the links to workshop manual pages work :( is there anywhere else i can get one?

sorry for so many questions... last one honest.

with the boost controller turned off the car is boosting to about 10psi. it seems to hold the boost well and its not all over the place. nice to see :D
i turned it on for a few seconds to see what would happen and the boost lept up to 18psi. i turned it off after 5 or 6 seconds just so i dont stress the engine till i know its ok.
is this safe for the gtir? it seems quite high.

thanks
pete

J

jiw

Any more info on he car mate, get it to a tuner and get the fuelling checked out if the car is in a modded state, sounds like it could be running forged pistons if they are shiny :?

P

petegtir

jiw said:
Any more info on he car mate, get it to a tuner and get the fuelling checked out if the car is in a modded state, sounds like it could be running forged pistons if they are shiny :?
sorry, maybe i should only post in one topic at a time.
not got the hang of this forum yet.

if you look at my topic in the genral section there is much more on the spec that i found out today.
and i'm a very happy gtir owner now :D

pete