New GTIR Owner

chopper

Just want to say hello and intrudce myself to you all as i'm sure i'll be in need of help in many situations. :-D

I brought a my GTIR off piston heads from BIG BHP performance(if you saw it on there) and history of it which you guy know would be cool. be it good or bad

Why did i buy the my GTIR: I wanted a rare fast jap import, which i can work on and take to the shows. i have a van and a motorbike so its really just a toy.

Plans for my GTIR: its running standard boost at the moment (so i have been told) and i want to keep it that way really. fist job is to see about quieting the exhaust as its a bit to boy racer for me. next would be remove the lowering springs because the rims rub now and again when hammering it. i will then be doing everything in my power to make it as reliable as possable. me engine hose kits, oils, ND top mounted oil cooler, ali rad, braided hoses for everything i can inc brakes. A good underseal and give the small amount of rust on the wheel arch a good sorting out before it becomes any worse. Then save my pennys for when the clutch/gear box goes i will have enought to pay for a uprated box and high end clutch and light weight flywheel.

Any tips on what i could change to make it more reliable would be very welcomed.

pictures to be added tomorrow as i need to be on my other computer

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
its running standard boost at the moment (so i have been told) and i want to keep it that way really. fist job is to see about quieting the exhaust as its a bit to boy racer for me. next would be remove the lowering springs because the rims rub now and again when hammering it.
You can get some good quiet exhausts either made-up or from existing members who don't want them. As a rule; the more (and bigger) the boxes in the system, the quieter it will be. - Mine is 2.5" from the elbow back with a twin-exit box on it. It's not silent, but it's quiet enough that my wife doesn't complain about the noise.

What size wheels do you have? That might be the issue with the lowering springs (and it's probably easier to fix).
i will then be doing everything in my power to make it as reliable as possable. me engine hose kits, oils, ND top mounted oil cooler, ali rad, braided hoses for everything i can inc brakes. A good underseal and give the small amount of rust on the wheel arch a good sorting out before it becomes any worse. Then save my pennys for when the clutch/gear box goes i will have enought to pay for a uprated box and high end clutch and light weight flywheel.

Any tips on what i could change to make it more reliable would be very welcomed.
Yes, resist the temptation to fiddle with it. They really aren't very unreliable in relatively standard form; there are bound to be a few problems because it's 15-20 years old now. Mine has had to have a new clutch; new wishbones; replacement alternator, but other than that it keeps plodding along.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
i have a nice exhaust you can have cheap..nice and quiet,,,
I can't tell with the new forum code if you're all paid-up or not... if not I'm going to have to edit your post because you're not to be selling on the forums.

chopper

Well going to get a quote for a custom stainless steel one this weekend and i'll work from there.
I have 16s on the car at the mo not sure on tire size. I have a set of 15s on my 100NX so I might try them and see what happeneds.
I'm sure I will be able to contal myself when it comes to turning up the boost. At least for a little while anyways haha

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You can probably take it to just over 1 bar without getting any concerns (other than making sure the fuel system is keeping up). After that you might be able to push it out to 1.2 or 1.5 bar, but it's advisable you put it on a rolling road when you do that; just so you can make sure the fuelling etc is ok.

Mine is on lowered springs, and the only time I've had 16"s rub was when the wishbone was bent. - Take a look at the wheels; are they dead centre in the arches? If not, the chances are that someone has twated a kerb and bent the wishbone.

Does the 100NX have a 4*100 PCD fitment? In which case you're laughing.

ollydj

Hey mate good luck with the new buy, first job you wanna do is strip the rear interior panels, door cards, and boot carpet out and wayoyle the hell out of the inner arches and quarterpannels and the doors. This will prolong the shells life from the inside that little bit longer.

chopper

yes the 100nx was the other body shape. a lovely car in my eyes just way to slow!! hence the GTiR haha
i will have to work on getting the pics on this weekend

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Oh yeah the 100NX was is the other body shape isn't it? - B13 :doh:
I was thinking of the EXA... although I think the EXA is just the name given to the Pulsar in the rest of the world (so 100NX in Europe and the US, and Pulsar EXA in Asia and Australasia). This would be an N13 EXA:

chopper

Well an update on things....
Took the stupid 17s off and put my set of 15s on. so lost 2inch of wheel and added 20mm of rubber. now wheels dont rub and a slightly softer ride which is a lot better. took it to powerflow exhaust in my town. they replaced 2 large sections of pipe which had some cracks and holes in the top with stainless steal pipe. which makes it a bit quieter now but still thinking of changing the decat pipe for a decat box to help the noise, have to see how it goes.
Noticed that a previous onwer has bumped the turbo down pipe as its so low, so that will have to be changed aswell. Also put in a new wish bone tie rod and ball joint put in. as they were nackered.
The baby has now gone into my garage for 2 months while i have gone away back to work. So roll on may/june for fluid changes and a few more pounds spent on things haha