New clutch kit problems!!!

yellow gtir

Hi all i have fitted a new organic clucth kit in my pulsar few days ago and i was driving slow to let the clutch sattle in. But today i was forced to drive fast as a civic was trying to take a pi** by over taking and braking in front of me and as soon as i put my foot down it pulled well uptil 4.0-4.5 revs and suddenly the revs jumped with no power so i changed gear and even in the other gear it done the same. But it only does that sometimes not all the time. Can any1 help !!! **P.S** I WAS TOLD BY SOMEONE THAT IT COULD BE THAT THE CLUTCH HAS NOT WORN IN YET SO IT COULD BE BECUASE OF THAT IS THAT TRUE?? CHEERS

Last edited:

GTiR_Spin

Could need to bleed your master cylinder and slave cylinder or check for leaks, or it could be a heat related issue causing your clutch fork to stretch due to a crack. Prolly not a clutch issue since it only happens once in a while.

gtir_pimp

never heard of a clutch needing bedding in. i never waited to put my foot down after my clutch was changed to make sure it was working ok. to much grease maybe when it was changed? it happened to a mates and did eventually stop

GTIR-LOZ

sounds like you have too much power for your clutch and its slipping which clutch did you use and how much power do you have

Braveheart

never heard of a clutch needing bedding in. i never waited to put my foot down after my clutch was changed to make sure it was working ok. to much grease maybe when it was changed? it happened to a mates and did eventually stop
I agree.... and if it was a master or slave problem it would be disengaging that was the problem... not slipping.
Contamination on the friction plates (grease / oil) or it could be catching on the splines.
There should be no need to bed in the clutch but I would try to avoid letting it slip as you can glaze the friction plate and scorch the preasure plate. Put some miles on it and see if it improves!

yellow gtir

im not to sure what make the clutch is because my mate bought the clutch and he fitted it for me but all i know is that its a organic clutch kit. my car was dynod at 336bhp but since then i have put more mods on so should be running over 350bhp easily.

yellow gtir

alryt mate will put some miles on it and see if it improves but could it be any chance that the clutch is slipping due to much power from the engine??

Braveheart

im not to sure what make the clutch is because my mate bought the clutch and he fitted it for me but all i know is that its a organic clutch kit. my car was dynod at 336bhp but since then i have put more mods on so should be running over 350bhp easily.
The OE clutch starts slipping around 280-300 lbs/ft torque. i.e 1bar boost with induction and exhaust mods.
Try to find out what clutch was fitted and what torgue it's rated for.

stumo

If your clutch is slipping then either

a) it's not strong enough for your output
b) it's got oil/grease on it
c)the release bearing isn't disengaging properly

things you can do...
a) get a better clutch
b)take the clutch out and degrease everything, just put a thin smear on the input splines and on the end of the fork, make sure there's enough grease on the pivot
c)how much freeplay do you have on the pedal? there should be about 25mm of play. If it's less then you have to adjust the pushrod on the master cyl

there's no point in continuing driving the car, you'll knacker the clutch and possibly the flywheel.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
never heard of a clutch needing bedding in.
If you fit a new clutch on an old unskimmed flywheel, then it could well need bedding in until it stops slipping. I fitted a sachs clutch to the unskimmed flywheel on my old montego and that slipped abit for a few days, after that it was fine.

If you just had an unknown clutch fitted to a car with 350bhp, then you deserve to have a slipping clutch that needs replacing:doh: I hope you just worded it badly.

Hopefully your mate will have done some research to find out which one would be best for your car. There aren't many organics that will handle 350+ That's about the limit for the helix that I know of, the RPS should be OK.

P

pulsarboby

as karl has said, some clutches will need bedding in if the fly is marked, others are fine, but the worst thing you can do is cause it to slip on purpose, by doing this you will booger it for once and all, just drive car off boost for a few days and see if it improves.
this is assuming the release fork is actually releasing the clutch fully of course.