New cams-what else do i need?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Ditto, unless you've got extremely high lift cams, a huge turbo to provide air and have raised the rev limit then standard springs are fine. You will need to re shim or it will sound very tappety and could damage you top end if not correct in the medium term.

Davey

come on then boys, whats wrong with hks cams, and why keep the standard one's 350?
Dont wanna be a sheep, but most peeps seem to get good results with cams?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Got piper cams on mine and the car feels like a different beast above 5000rpm. Poor lumpy idle but worth it.

Jim

nismoboy

campbellju said:
Got piper cams on mine and the car feels like a different beast above 5000rpm. Poor lumpy idle but worth it.

Jim
what lift and duration are the piper cams :?: only down side to piper cams is ive heard of a set in a couple of different cars snap into bits :shock:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I didn't originally fit them but did re-fit them properly as thePO never attempted to shim them :roll: :roll:

From the other post, my guess is they are the 270's.

I've never been able to compare them back to back with an equivalent standard set/car but my thoughts are:

500-1500 Lumpy/poor torque
1500-3500 Similar but slightly worse (Less smooth)
3500-5000 Similar but possibly stronger (Is it cams or is it turbo)
5000-8000 :twisted: :twisted: Oh **it, bouncing off the rev limiter again.

My engine is very light too that makes the bottom end worse but exaggerates the top end too. If I had to use it everyday I'd probably stick with OE cams and flywheel, etc but I don't so I haven't.

Jim