new build and 3071r

GTIR-LOZ

hi just a quick question really i am in the process of running in my new engine having covered 200 miles now, i has 87mm hks pistons dp exhaust manifold and am performance elbow with a 3071r sandwiched between all lagged

i have read that these turbos are hitting full boost at around 3k but mine hits around 4k just where i dont want to be flooring it on my new engine

will this free up over time as the turbo and engine wear in or is there a problem somewhere if so any ideas, i am pretty sure the wastegate is setup right - i set it up so it starts to open as it hits 1bar and everything is new so i assume its not faulty

when i get 1bar it doesnt feel as quick as everyone bangs on about it still shifts but it doesnt feel as fast as my old gtrs was but it seems to be moving faster if that makes sense

GTIR-LOZ

i am only going up to 4k and have been told and read alot on here to load the rings up every now and again by building the boost pressure up and then letting it deaccelerate back down, it seems to be fine so far lol

to be honest i bought this turbo as everyone bangs on about how reponsive/aggressive and how there is no lag atall, my gtrs pisses all over this for reponse but it doesnt feel as solid as the 3071r

ashills

run it in hard is best way all my engines see 6-7k within 10 mins of being started
4k sounds right tbh for spool up

GTIR-LOZ

cheers mate to be honest i prob wont go above 4k until ive covered 500 miles and then put the oil cooler on and got it setup as the last thing i want to do is ruin all the hard work ive done, i did get very nervous today as it put out a tiny puff of blue smoke as i came off a roundabout, but its been fine since
it does overfuel on idle a lot though hopefully a new o2 sensor will sort that out

P

pulsarboby

sort the overfuelling out asap as this alone could kill your engine, better for it to run slightly on the lean side as you dont want to wash the oil from the bores especially whilst the rings are cutting in.

also i believe and have found the same as you that the 3071 is more laggy than the standard t28 (especially with front mount fitted) but once its in the spool up range it pulls harder all the way through. mine was still making power even at 7.5k and its gonna be road tuned this week as he believes he can cut down on some of the lag between gear changes, which il be very impressed with if he can sort that out.

like ashills said just drive it fairly hard with lots of engine braking and gear changes etc, and change oil after 50 miles! but dont scream the nuts off it especially if shes overfuelling as it may be short lived engine if thats the case.

ashills

yeah u dont want any over fuelling ideally and it will burn some oil during running in anyway dont worry
tbh 200 miles is run in on todays standard of engine but 500-1000 keeps it safe

Mr GTiR

If done properly, your rings will be run in by the first 20 miles.

I agree with Allen as my engine was run in with boost from the start of the key! Non of this 4k crap!

GTIR-LOZ

cheers guys puts my mind at rest, bob it only overfuels at idle and sometimes its fine but most of the time the afr is 12ish hopefully the new o2 sensor will sort that out courtesy of rob

rx jamie

Mr GTiR said:
If done properly, your rings will be run in by the first 20 miles.

I agree with Allen as my engine was run in with boost from the start of the key! Non of this 4k crap!
damn right. thats how i run in all my engines

GTIR-LOZ

put the new o2 sensor on yesterday (cheers rob) and its def better it only sometimes goes as low as 12 on the a/f guage now lol

could the tps sensor cause overfueling at idle as when i had it unplugged to adjust the timing it was spot on but the revs were higher

i took it up to 6k last night on 0.9 bar seemed fine and nearly as quick as the gtrs on 1.2 bar

CARLGTIR

Maybe of some help I dont know.. My engine was overfueling because some supposed mechanic mounted the AFM to close to the turbo.

GTIR-LOZ

cheers carl but i have done all the work myself and the z32 was fine before removal, thats why i thought of the tps as its different from my old engines one also when i have full throttle it reads 4.61v which i think is too high, on idle its 0.44v which is fine though

P

pulsarboby

CARLGTIR said:
Maybe of some help I dont know.. My engine was overfueling because some supposed mechanic mounted the AFM to close to the turbo.

just like to point out that nothing to do with me just incase some of you thought it was:roll:
i was the one that spotted it however;-)

GTIR-LOZ

bit of an update, still overfuels at idle intermittantly the new o2 sensor did not cure it i am going to wait till the tuning next friday and see what its like after

had another moment with the blue smoke was in the workshop tuesday and had it on the ramp drving it in 1st gear with no many revs after a while blue smoke started coming out of the exhaust got a bit worried and took it out alot of smoke on boost then it cleared and its been fine since i have used it 2 days in a row with no smoke atall, these signs look like the turbo seals however the turbo is still really brand new ive only done a 1000 miles on this engine/turbo the oil level was a little high though so i lowered it, do you think this could have been the problem?

P

pulsarboby

i tend to fill mine around 5mm past the full mark for trackdays etc to try and stop oil starvation on hard cornering but not had any smoke. so depends whether you were above that i suppose!
wont be the turbo if its smoking on boost though, may have had a sticky ring which has just freed itself though

GTIR-LOZ

i only got the smoke on full boost after it was smoking on idle after that i got none

i dont think it was past 5mm but its hard to tell as the oil is still quite clean

its overdue an oil change now anyway so i will do that at the weekend and put the good stuff in and the cooler on and see how she goes

vizi0n

Just wondering, what AR do everyone go for? .64 or .86? Also, what are the "main" differences in RPM vs boost between those 2