Need Help !!

saddler

I think i may edit this write up..!! so i need photo's for the mag for me to pick
The hot hatch was almost dead by the early 90s, killed off by car crime and insurance companies running scared. Meanwhile, in a land far far away from Taking and Driving Away offences and anything resembling petty crime, came the mad-as-hell Nissan Pulsar GTI-R !!
Essentially the basis for a group A rally car, homologation the specials have always been a necessary evil, but the GTI-R seemed more wicked than most. Four-wheel drive, turbo 16 valves, 220bhp, limited-slip differential – all nutter bastard ingredients are there, stuffed into the shell of a humble Nissan sunny hatchback. Although it is now an import favourite with the Pulsar badge (the Jap domestic-market name for the sunny), 70 sunnys did actually make it into the U.K between April 92 and February 93 as official Nissan-sanctioned models. On the first acquaintance the GTI-R seems slightly ridiculous ,as though someone has mis -ordered some over and undersized items from the tuning catalogue.
The tiny 14-inch alloys look like pram wheels and don't even attempt to fill the wheel arches. That rear wing is so huge it could double as a low-rise carport !. And finally, there is a bonnet with an embarrassingly large bulge on it. Open the bonnet however and you realise why there's a bulge – it's all engine under there, topped off with a king size intercooler !. Nissan have thoughtfully provided some sport seats to hug Pulsar test pilots a little closer, while three centrally-located gauges register boost, oil pressure and oil temperature.
Now, although you can tickle the Pulsar around town, it dosen't take to much provocation to light its T28 turbo fire!. A standard Pulsar musters approx 220bhp and; Unlike so many turbos , it actually delivers lots of power right across the rev range. Pulling strongly enough at 2000rpm, it just keeps on going to the 7500rpm red line. Lag is virtually non- existent and the 2.0-litre engine is never less than extremely torquey . No doubt the low weight of the car helps here. As a performance car this combination is just about perfect. Top speed is about 140mph while the 0-60mph is under 6 seconds, helped by a close-ratio gearbox.
It is not just a straight-line speed machine, either; the GTI-R goes where it is pointed. High-geared steering and four-wheel-drive system with centre and rear limited-slip diffs keep the GTI-R on course. Grip is phenomenal, but when it does run out it's the front end that slides gently wide. The all-round MacPherson strut suspension helps to keep the show on the road and the vented front discs and ABS bring it all to a halt without any of the drama. Coming to the Pulsar GTI-R cold, some people may not have much respect for the badge or the looks, but after a test drive you'll not only warm to it, you'll actually want one!. Back in 92, when the Sunny GTI-R was new, Autocar magazine timed 10 selected cars at a race circuit as part of a “best handling” contest, all of them piloted by the same F1 driver. The little Sunny was quicker around Castle Combe than both the Sierra Cosworth 4x4 and the Porsche Carrera 2. In fact, the only car on the day that could lap faster then the GTI-R was the Honda NSX !. Now that's pretty convincing !.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Pokemon Andy; I choose you! - Well, he's already got some photos and he's done a couple of write-ups anyway...

EDIT: Looks like I was too slow - that's a good write-up, and I don't think it will need much tweaking.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I can't imagine anyone getting upset about using those photos.

Are there any writeups on the forum we can use to beef up the quantity of text? An A4 page of text is quite a lot. Whatever you write will be proff read edited by them anyway.

I can write a paragraph if needs. When I get the time there is normally no stopping me on a keyboard!!

Smo

John - I have high res copies of all the photos of my car I just posted if you want a couple.

Smo

Wrote this up quickly if it's of any use?

For the past 20 years, there has been a monster lurking in the shadows. Almost invisible, overlooked and underestimated – the Nissan Pulsar GTi-R has been waiting. After two decades, it’s ready to step back into the limelight, and reach out for the title of the world’s best hot hatchback. You may have come across one before, as it pounced and shot into the distance, slithering into your line of vision just long enough for you to say ‘What the hell was that?’ but it’s too late, it’s gone. Over the horizon to wait for the next contender.

The limp, dull and drab Nissan Sunny has been the epitome of bland but reliable motoring the world over until a crazy Japanese hero decided that it could, and would, be more. A vision was born that would rock the streets of Japan and, foaming at the mouth, attack the nearest supercar that could be found.

A Nissan Sunny was injected with a dose of steroids in the form of Nissans legendary ATESSA AWD system mated to a sharper, harder version of the SR20DET engine with a top mounted Intercooler and Garrett TB2804 turbo to produce the Pulsar GTi-R. With approximately 220bhp and a short ratio gearbox the Pulsar was propelled to 60mph in 5.4 seconds and would top 140mph.

With silly bonnet vents, a large boot spoiler and tiny wheels the Pulsar was the underdog. Laughed at until it’s bite proved much, much tougher than it’s bark. It wasn’t long before the Pulsar began to prove it’s worth. Even at 20 years old, it still spanks the ‘hot hatches’ of today.

saddler

What about this !!

For the past 20 years, there has been a monster lurking in the shadows. Almost invisible, overlooked and underestimated – the Nissan Pulsar GTi-R has been waiting. After two decades, it’s ready to step back into the limelight again for its 20th Anniversary
Essentially the basis for a group A rally car, homologation specials have always been a necessary evil, but the GTI-R seemed more wicked than most. Four-wheel drive, turbo 16 valves, 220bhp, limited-slip differential – all the major ingredients are there,And all stuffed into the shell of a humble Nissan sunny hatchback. Although it is now an import favourite with the Pulsar badge (the Jap domestic-market name for the sunny),
On the first acquaintance the GTI-R seems slightly ridiculous ,as though someone has mis -ordered some over and undersized items from the tuning catalogue.
first thing that grabs your attension is a bonnet with an embarrassingly large bulge on it.
But open the bonnet however and you realise why there's a bulge – it's all engine under there, topped off with a king size intercooler !.
The interior is fairly ordinary with swathes of black plastic, but the bucket seats grip front passengers tenaciously and the increments on the speedometer remind you this is no ordinary hatch
Now, although you can tickle the Pulsar around town, it dosen't take to much provocation to light its T28 turbo fire!. A standard Pulsar puts out approx 220bhp and; Unlike so many turbos , it actually delivers lots of power right across the rev range. Pulling strongly enough at 2000rpm, it just keeps on going to the 7500rpm red line. Lag is virtually non- existent and the 2.0-litre engine is never less than extremely torquey . No doubt the low weight of the car helps here. As a performance car this combination is just about perfect. Top speed is about 140mph while the 0-60mph in at 5.4 seconds, And is helped by a close-ratio gearbox.
It is not just a straight-line speed machine, either; the GTI-R goes where it is pointed. High-geared steering and four-wheel-drive system with centre and rear limited-slip diffs keep the
GTI-R on course. Grip is phenomenal, but when it does run out it's the front end that slides gently wide. The all-round MacPherson strut suspension helps to keep the show on the road and the vented front discs and ABS bring it all to a halt without any of the drama. Coming to the Pulsar GTI-R cold, some people may not have much respect for the badge or the looks, but after a test drive you'll not only warm to it, you'll actually want one!.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds good to me; I'd probably mess with the formatting and make some semantic changes, but when it comes to it that's just personal preference.

MarkTurbo

I've re written a few bits here and there to make it a bit mor factual :lol:

What about this !!

For the past 20 years, there has been a monster rusting away in the shadows. Almost invisible (that'll be the rust again!) overlooked and underestimated – the Nissan Pulsar GTi-R has been boosting breakers yard bank balances. After two decades and now affordable to the mcdonalds drive through generation, it’s ready to be laughed at all over again for its 20th Anniversary.
Essentially the basis for a poorly designed, woefully unsuccessful group A rally car, homologation specials have always been a necessary evil (and a way to use up leftover parts from the 100nx) but the GTI-R seemed more poorly designed than most. Four-wheel drive, turbo 16 valves, 220bhp (on a good day) limited-slip differential – all the major ingredients are sort of there, And all stuffed into the shell of the old duffers weekly shopping vehicle of choice................The Nissan sunny hatchback. Although it is now an import favourite with the Pulsar badge (the Jap domestic-market name for the sunny),
On the first acquaintance the GTI-R seems slightly ridiculous ,as though someone had mis-ordered some oversized dildo's from the Anne summers catalogue to sit on whilst designing it.
First thing that grabs your attention is a bonnet with an embarrassingly large bulge that looks like the overhang in a fat womans swimsuit.
But open the bonnet however and you realise why there's a bulge – it's all engine under there, skillfully placed to deposit all the cars weight over the front wheels and topped off with a king size interwarmer.
The interior is fairly ordinary with swathes of black plastic and cloth doorcards that wouldnt look out of place on your nans pissed stained sofa but the bucket seats grip front passengers tenaciously and the increments on the speedometer remind you this is no ordinary hatch.
Now, although you can tickle the Pulsar around town, it dosen't take too much provocation to light its T28 turbo fire!. A standard Pulsar puts out approx 220bhp (if you find a generous dyno) and unlike so many turbos , it actually delivers lots of power right across the rev range. Pulling the skin off a rice pudding is just about possible by 3000rpm, and just keeps on going to the 7500rpm red line depending on how much faith you put in the brakes. Lag is virtually non- existent and the 2.0-litre engine is never extremely torquey nomatter how much boost you run. No doubt the low weight of the car helps here. As a performance car this combination is just about perfect. Top speed is about 140mph while the 0-60mph in at 5.4 seconds, And is helped by a close-ratio gearbox built using only the finest melted down coke cans from your local recycling plant.
It is not just a straight-line speed machine, either; the GTI-R goes where it is pointed occasionally. High-geared steering and a four-wheel-drive system with centre and rear limited-slip diffs keep the
GTI-R on course. Grip is less than phenomenal, but when it does run out it's the front end that slides wide in a mass of understeer. The all-round MacPherson strut suspension vaguely tries to keep the show on the road and the vented front discs and ABS bring it to a halt most of the time provided you havent tried more than 2 high speed stops in quick succession! Coming to the Pulsar GTI-R cold, some people may not have much respect for the badge or the looks, but after a test drive you'll warm to it in the same way a pensioner warms to their soiled underwear

saddler

Even though marks write up is correct,, we are talking about a media article so we are allowed to bend the truth...
So i will stick with my edited version..

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
For the past 20 years, there has been a monster lurking in the shadows; almost invisible, overlooked and underestimated. – The Nissan Pulsar GTi-R has been waiting, and after two decades it’s ready to step back into the limelight for its 20th Anniversary!

Essentially the basis for a group A rally car (as so many legends born of this era are), homologation specials have always been a necessary evil, but the GTI-R seemed more wicked than most: all-wheel-drive; turbo; 16 valves; double overhead cams; 227bhp; limited-slip differential – all the major ingredients are there... and all stuffed into the shell of a humble Nissan Sunny 2-door hatchback. It is now an import favourite with the Pulsar badge (the Japanese domestic-market name for the Sunny line).

On the first acquaintance the GTI-R seems slightly ridiculous; as though someone has mis-ordered a mixture of over- and under-sized items from the Nissan tuning parts catalogue:
The first thing that grabs your attention is a bonnet with an embarrassingly large bulge on it, but open it however, and you realise why there's a bulge – it's all engine under there (a variant of the SR20DET not found in any other Nissan), topped off with a king-size intercooler!
The interior is fairly ordinary with swathes of black plastic, but it's all business; the bucket seats grip front passengers tenaciously, and the increments on the speedometer remind you this is no ordinary hatch!

Although you can tickle the Pulsar around town, it doesn't take too much provocation to light its T28 turbo fire! - A standard Pulsar puts out approx 227bhp and a Sunny about 220bhp (tuned for lower octane European fuels). Unlike so many turbos; it actually delivers lots of power right across the rev range, pulling strongly enough at 2000rpm it just keeps on going to the 7500rpm red line. Lag is virtually non-existent and the 2.0-litre engine is never less than extremely torquey (no doubt the low weight of the car helps here).
As a performance car this combination is just about perfect. Top speed is about 140mph with the 0-60mph in at a respectable 5.4 seconds (and is helped by a close-ratio gearbox).
It is not just a straight-line speed machine either; the GTI-R goes where it is pointed. - High-geared steering and the ATTESA all-wheel-drive system with centre and rear limited-slip diffs (stolen from the U12 Bluebird) keep the GTI-R on course. Grip is phenomenal, but when it does run out it's the front end that slides gently wide. The all-round MacPherson strut suspension helps to keep the show on the road and the vented front discs and ABS bring it all to a halt without any of the drama.

Coming to the Pulsar GTI-R cold, some people may not have much respect for the badge or the looks, but after a test drive you'll not only warm to it, you'll actually want one!.

- As I said, just a couple of minor changes for the way I write; the caveat is that I'm used to technical reports rather than marketing hyperbole!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What I should really do is get my wife to go over it; although she doesn't get paid for it, she edits people's manuscripts before they submit them to publishers. - That English Lit degree has to be useful for something... ;-)

EDIT: Well, what she said is that it reads like an apology for the car; sorry it looks like crap, but it actually goes quite well. - I think she's cut most of the bits that might suggest we're not proud of the way it looks. I can see her point; maybe we need to put a bit more about how great it is, and a bit less about how it looks a little like a Halfords bodykit special?

Here's her version:

For the past 20 years, there has been a monster lurking in the shadows; almost invisible, overlooked and underestimated. – The Nissan Pulsar GTI-R has been waiting, and after two decades it’s ready to step back into the limelight for its 20th Anniversary!

As the with so many legends of this era, the GTI-R was essentially the basis for a group A WRC rally car. - Homologation specials have always been a necessary evil, but the GTI-R seemed more wicked than most: all-wheel-drive; turbo; 16 valves; double overhead cams; 227bhp; limited-slip differential – all the major ingredients are there... slotted into the shell of a humble Nissan Sunny 2-door hatchback. It is now an import favourite with the Pulsar badge (the Japanese domestic-market name for the Sunny line).

Although you can tickle the Pulsar around town, it doesn't take too much provocation to light its T28 turbo fire! - A standard Pulsar puts out approx 227bhp. Unlike so many turbos; it actually delivers power right across the rev range, pulling strongly at 2000rpm it just keeps on going to the 7500rpm red line. Lag is virtually non-existent and the 2.0-litre engine is never less than extremely torquey (no doubt the low weight of the car helps here).As a performance car this combination is just about perfect. Top speed is about 140mph with the 0-60mph in at a respectable 5.4 seconds and is helped by a close-ratio gearbox.
It is not just a straight-line speed machine either; the GTI-R goes where it is pointed. High-geared steering and the ATTESA all-wheel-drive system with centre and rear limited-slip diffs (stolen from the U12 Bluebird) keep it right on course. Grip is phenomenal, but when it does run out it's the front end that slides gently wide. The all-round MacPherson strut suspension helps to keep the show on the road and the vented front discs and ABS bring it all to a halt without any of the drama.

People may not have much respect for the badge or the looks, but this iconic car has aged just as well as others from the era. After a test drive most people will not only warm to it, they'll want one!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
In the theme of Monkey!?

In the Worlds before the Pulsar Primal chaos reigned; Nissan sought order, but the Pulsar can fly only when the GTI-R was grown.
The ATTESA all-wheel-drive was formed in the Bluebird again and yet again for the Pulsar, as group A homologation was desired and passed.
Time and the pure essences of the SR20DET, The moistures of high-octane fuel, And the powers of the Garrett T28 turbo all worked upon a certain hatchback - the Pulsar, and it magically came alive.
That first egg was named the GTI-R Nissan Buddha, the Father Buddha, Said, 'With our car we will conquer the world.'
Elemental forces caused the engine to suffer from heat-soak, from it then came no WRC success.
However, The nature of the GTI-R was irrepressible!

Born from Nissan on a mountain top, the Funkiest Pulsar that ever rocked,
It pulled to the redline from way down low,
Power and lag-free acceleration; everyone can have some fun.
Pulsar magic, GTI-R magic,
Pulsar magic, GTI-R magic,
All-wheel-drive Nissan Pulsar magic!

...maybe it's time I gave-up on this and went to bed.