Need advise on turbo removel

yellow gtir

Hi all I had few days free and decided to take ma turbo off and change it. so far I have removed the rad. I have been told by a mate to remove the turbo from where the manni and turbo join. But from what I could see it seems alot harder from there so where would guys advise me to take it off from the full manni with turbo or from the manni and turbo join? Also the bolts look rusty as fook nd I tink will snap so what is the best way to take them off? Thanks

Smo

Take the whole lot off the car mate (manifold included) - it will be 10x harder to do otherwise. Drop the downpipe from the turbo elbow and start undoing the manifold studs. Once they're off you'll have to gently lift the manifold away from the block but be careful - the hardlines (water and oil) will still be connected so you'll need to undo these as you go before you can lift the whole lot off the car. As for the bolts all you can do is soak them in a lubricating spray (WD40 etc.) and leave them to soak for an hour or so then give it a shot.

pulsar kid

I 2nd what smo said as you wount be able to undo the tabs lockin the turbo-mani bolts with it all still in place, make sure you replace all the gaskets when you come to put it back on, as not worth putting it back together to find ones leaking,

yellow gtir

Take the whole lot off the car mate (manifold included) - it will be 10x harder to do otherwise. Drop the downpipe from the turbo elbow and start undoing the manifold studs. Once they're off you'll have to gently lift the manifold away from the block but be careful - the hardlines (water and oil) will still be connected so you'll need to undo these as you go before you can lift the whole lot off the car. As for the bolts all you can do is soak them in a lubricating spray (WD40 etc.) and leave them to soak for an hour or so then give it a shot.
Thanks smo will give that a shot and see how it goes.

shroom

have fun with the manifold bolts, and get some new copper washers handy as I lost so many during the process they drop down on to the top of the bottom sump pan bloody things lol, but yer as smo said realy :)

Tim

I've just done this, hardest part was getting the oil and water lines lined up when refitting everything. Just be careful with the rusted bolts, douse with WD40 and back them out with care.