narrow band O2 Gauge

C

Chi-town

how "innaccurate" is the narrow band reading? i dont want to use it for tuning, i just want to use it to know if im leaning out under acceleration.

ram5ay

The narrow band reading is only for part throttle and cruising, your ecu uses a different map for acceleration, so iirc your o2 sensor will just go out of its accuracy "zone" so prob wont be much use. Saying that there is a guide somewhere on sr20forum.com for setting up you safc with an apexi auto timer using your stock o2 sensor.
I wouldn't trust it to tell you if you are going to melt something tho, you'd prob be better off getting your fuelling checked properly on a RR.

C

Chi-town

i did some reading of some old post on sr20forum and what you are saying about part throttle is true but at WOT the ecu doesnt use the o2 sensor but the sensor still gives out its readings as normal.

as for tuning using the stock o2...you need a EGT sensor because the o2 sensor is affected by changes in EGT. so as long as the readings are taken at the same EGT, it should work to tune. the above is what ive understood from reading several post but havent tried it myself.

ram5ay

Chi-town said:
at WOT the ecu doesnt use the o2 sensor but the sensor still gives out its readings as normal.
Yeh, but I think it is the accuracy that comes into question, as it is a narrow band o2 sensor it is only really accurate around stoichiometric (wooooo :lol: ). As your mixture goes too much either side of 14.7:1 such as under WOT (at which i think you should see about 11 or 12:1??) the narrow band goes out of its range, hence the reason for a wide band o2 sensor.
An EGT gauge should be an ideal tool for the job, if you have one or plan on getting one, as I think it should give you a good idea of what is going on under load, a weak mixture being evident by higher than norm EGT.

C

Chi-town

i see what you are saying. to answer my own original question, i found that its good for indicating a rich or lean a/f ratio but not accurate as to how much lean or rich the mixture is.